Offline-capable, feature rich, extensible code editor designed for Chrome
Zed is a fully offline-capable, Chrome-based text and code editor you can use to edit files locally, on Dropbox, on Github, or remotely on any server. It has all the code editor features you'd expect and more:
* Code completion: symbols and (customizable) snippets
* Multiple cursors
* Split-view editing
Why another editor?
Zed was not designed to be an X clone (although it borrows ideas from many). It has opinionated ideas on how to make you more productive editing code. Specifically:
1. Zed tries to reduce cognitive load while editing code by simplifying as much as possible:
* Zed has no tabs and no concept of open files. You navigate between files either using the goto UI (Command-E/Ctrl-E) or file tree (Command-T/Ctrl-T). Switching between recent file is easy because recently opened files appear at the top.
* Zed has as little window chrome as reasonably possible: editors take up the full window space, minus a small edit bar along the bottom indicating what file is open.
* Zed unifies file navigation and file creation in its goto UI: you can either navigate to an existing file, or to a non existing file, in which case it will create the file including its parent directories (if necessary). As Zed will create any directories as required, you can just treat the path as a namespace.
* Zed has first-class support for editing files on any Internet-connected server, so you no longer have to switch to nano or vi when editing files remotely, and swap in all the associated keybindings into your brain.
* Zed persists edit state between sessions: window size and location, recent commands, split view state, cursor and selections and even undo history are persisted between sessions in a .zedstate file stored in the project directory. This gives you peace of mind: not working on a project right now? Just close the window. Don’t worry.
For more information on how to use Zed's various features, check out the built-in Manual project.
Find more info and the latest news check out http://zedapp.org