Show the likes and dislikes bar over every video thumbnail in YouTube so that you can know its rating before watching it.
How many times have you gone to a video only to discover that it's a total waste? Ratings Preview for YouTube™ allows you to take those few seconds of life you would have lost.
Throughout all youtube.com, this extension shows a bar of likes and dislikes under every video snapshot, just like the official one. In this way, you can view the rating of the videos before watching the actual video, so that you can avoid garbage and spot amazing ones.
In addition, you can move your mouse to the bottom bar and a tooltip will show up to tell you the likes percentage and the total ratings count. You can also configure it to automatically highlight with a box the best videos in every page.
——————————————————— OTHER PLATFORMS ———————————————————
• Mozilla Firefox version: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/youtube-ratings-preview/
• Safari version: http://youtuberatingspreview.com/download/safari/ytrp.safariextz
• Android version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.youtuberatingspreview
• iOS version: https://itunes.apple.com/app/ratings-preview-for-youtube/id572353073
———————————————————— PERMISSIONS ————————————————————
The message shown by Google Chrome for the requested permissions are very far from the real needs of the extension, but they are technically required for the following reasons:
• Access your tabs and browsing activity: this permission is required to show the configuration icon over the address bar when a tab enters in youtube.com. You can still hide the icon if you want.
• Access your data on all websites: this is required for showing the related videos' rating bars inside the player when the video ends in the case of embedded videos.
———————————————————— CHANGE-LOG ————————————————————
»»» 18.104.22.168 (Jan 20, 2014)
• Fixed critical bug causing playlists inside the video player to break the layout under some circumstances.
»»» 3.2.3 (Jan 19, 2014)
• Initial release for iOS.
• Performance improvements and bug fixes related to asynchronous loading of the pages.
• Minor styling fixes to accommodate YouTube changes.
»»» 22.214.171.124 (Dic 19, 2013)
• Removed anonymous data tracking due to popular pressure.
»»» 3.1.1 (Nov 30, 2013)
• Fixed bug that prevented video result thumbnails of Google searches from being clickable.
• Improved the way highlighted videos work: now the highlighted ones will always be less than half of the total on-screen videos.
• Added anonymous data tracking.
• Other functionally minor changes.
»»» 3.1 (Nov 22, 2013)
• New feature: now YouTube video results of Google searches also show rating bars.
• Performance improvements to prevent stuttering videos in some computers, specially noticeable in Firefox version (thanks to rectec).
• Fixed bug that prevented top bar Favourite etc. playlist titles from being clickable.
• Fixed bug that caused highlighted videos to stop being highlighted.
• Improved the way highlighted videos work: now they are never highlighted if the YTRP score is less than 5.
»»» 3.0 (Nov 17, 2013)
• New feature: now you can choose between the classic green-red or the modern blue-gray bar styles.
• New feature: now you can choose the rating bar's opacity, or even make them invisible until you move the mouse over the thumbnails.
• New feature: now related videos shown in the player after the video ends also display rating bars. However it doesn't work with Flash player, it only works with the HTML5 player.
• Improved the way YTRP score tooltips are shown. Now you can just move the mouse over the bottom quarter of any thumbnail.
• Fixed bug causing the rating bars to be one pixel thinner than expected on some situations, such as in the related videos.
• Fixed bug causing rating bars not to show for small thumbnails.
• Fixed bug causing rating bars not to show under some circumstances, such as on generated channels.
• General bug fixes, style and performance improvements to accommodate YouTube changes.
»»» 2.3.3 (May 7, 2013)
• Fixed bug causing misalignment of the video thumbnails under some circumstances, such as in your own favourites list.
»»» 2.3.2 (May 4, 2013)
• Initial release for Android.
• Maintenance update: fixed several minor issues due to YouTube's internal changes.
»»» 2.3.1 (Mar 5, 2013)
• Fixed bug causing the main video rating bar tooltip information to be erroneous under certain languages.
• Fixed issue causing rating bars not to show under certain circumstances with the new YouTube Data API.
• Improved the way rating bars are drawn when the browser zoom is set below 100%.
»»» 2.3 (Mar 3, 2013)
• Initial release for Safari.
• Switched to YouTube Data API version 3, with much faster response times and more relaxed quota limits (now intense navigation doesn't cause the bars not to show for some time).
• Several bug fixes due to the new YouTube layout.
• New feature: now the main video's rating bar shares the style (including tooltip) with the other bars and it's height is also configurable.
• Only Firefox: removed configuration icon from address bar by popular demand. Now every icon of every extension (Chrome, Safari and Firefox) can be completely removed.
»»» 2.2 (Nov 21, 2012)
• Fixed bug causing the extension not to work due to Chrome's internal changes.
• Added YTRP score to tooltips, which uses an intelligent algorithm to show a score out of 10.
• Performance improvements and security vulnerabilities solved (thanks to the Mozilla review team).
• Moved support page to a custom server so that the information shown is always updated.
»»» 2.1.1 (Oct 27, 2012)
• Initial release for Mozilla Firefox.
• Minor bug fixes and performance improvements.
• Added share options and change-log to support page.
»»» 2.1 (Oct 20, 2012)
• Added the ability to hide the configuration icon.
• Now the configuration dialog can be accessed through Google Chrome's tools, extensions menu.
• Minor layout bug fixes that affected Mac users.
»»» 2.0 (Sep 7, 2012)
• Added a configuration icon, grey while request pending and colored when successful.
• Added option to customize the bar thickness.
• New feature: best videos in every page will optionally show a blue box around them.
• New feature: now the rating bars are by default powered by a new cache system.
• Added update and donations page.
• Bug fixes and general performance improvements.
»»» 1.2.1 (Jan 29, 2012)
• Fixed bug causing the extension not to work due to YouTube's internal changes.
• Fixed bug causing videos with ratings disabled not to show grey bars.
»»» 1.2 (Oct 9, 2011)
• Rating bar made one pixel thicker.
• Thumbnail bottom overlays (time and add button) moved slightly up.
• Fixed bug causing bars to show misplaced when promoted videos on screen.
• Improved overall load speed thanks to heuristic timeouts and optimized API calls.
• Extended Cosmic Panda theme support.
»»» 1.1 (Sep 25, 2011)
• Changed extension icons and screenshots.
• Redesigned bars to meet new YouTube's appearance and offer more visual precision.
• Added grey bars for videos with no ratings.
• Added Cosmic Panda theme support.
• Reduced the permissions needed by the extension to install.
»»» 1.0 (Aug 7, 2011)
• Initial release for Google Chrome.
———————————————————— KNOWN ISSUES ————————————————————
• Sometimes promoted and featured videos are shown without the rating bar. This is because they are loaded asynchronously and detecting those videos would decrease overall performance.
• The video thumbnails that appear inside the player after a video has ended are shown without the rating bar. This feature only works with the HTML5 player, which unfortunately is not used with videos that display ads (even if you have an ad-blocker). Those will always play with Flash player.