Find out who targets you with digital advertising
Keep track of how political campaigns target you with social media ads while anonymously helping international research projects understand how election results are influenced by social media advertising.
The plugin identifies political ads from major parties and candidates, so you can review their content and targeting. The ads you contribute may be shared with reputable research projects and journalists. Our goal is to exemplify the transparency accountability people should expect from social media platforms and political campaigns to increase the trustworthiness of modern democracy.
The project has been covered by the BBC, New York Times, CNN and many others.
Who Targets Me is currently available in 12 languages and provides personalised results in over 20. A full list of languages, countries and our partners can be found on our website:
How to use Who Targets Me:
- Install the browser extension
- Create an anonymous profile (your age, location, gender and political leaning)
- Use Facebook and other social media platforms as usual
- Click the plugin from time to time to see who is trying to influence your views with political ads
What the plugin captures:
- Facebook ads, their content and targeting
What the plugin doesn't capture:
- Any other type of post
- Any personal information
You can choose to stop participating in the project at any time and, should you wish to, delete the ads you've contributed to the project.