Yet another TTS (text to speech) extension, with natural voice.
Tired of reading long text? why not convert text to speech so that you can hear the text on websites?
This extension helps you select and speak text in your browser with the following two advantages:
(1) Voice Instead uses TTS(text to speech) engine in human voice quality.
(2) Voice Instead supports extremely long text to be read by a single click without a long delay, and the speech is very smooth!
Select English text (better in a "normal" webpage, not chrome://, not https://) and simply click the `voice instead' item on the content page menu (right click).
Click upper right popup icon to adjust speed and volume.
Note: Only English speech conversion is supported so far. And playing speech on some `https' sessions is not supported due to security reason.
* Fixed panel image style to avoid unintended CSS inheritance.
* Update responsivevoice API URL.
* Introduce IBM TTS API.
* Address the *pause-in-the-middle* problem by providing an additional parameter for user to adjust.
* User can now dismiss loading status.
* Panel bar is relocated to the bottom of page.
* Backward compatibility: choice for new and old TTS API.
* Use image button instead of font button on top panel.
* Fix a minor js issue.
* Make sure yellow window goes to the top (max z-index), also fix the "set to default" button issue.
* Fix first-time config data loading problem.
* New TTS APT, add speed, volume and voice options.
* Cancel Opera support as ogg/wav in Opera cannot get duration info.
* Use ogg format audio to add support to Opera.
* Added "pause" and "play" panel buttons.
* Fix the issue: stop reading caused by '<' and '>'
* Fixed-size words font in panel and a non-anchor "stop reading" link.
* Better String Slice, handling reading pause point better even without comma/period signs.
* Better aligned "Loading" text.
* better top position method to prevent panel vibrating.
* add the "stop" link and panel bar on top of the page.
* remove the repeating speech when the text is all read.
* TTS API not working because of hostname moved, fixed the problem by using `www.' API hostname. And fixed the duplicated voice player in a page containing <iframe>.
* Fix an issue on Chrome 36: voice does not load.
* The extension is AD-free now!!
* Using another TTS API, with better voice quality. (The old one seems not working well)
* A great improvement on handling punctuation mark and other symbols.
* Support added to webpages that contains <iframe> element(s).
Help Voice Instead improve: Send feedbacks to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com (please send to both email addresses).
Is it useful? Help me rate it now!