Aspect ratio fixer for youtube that works around some people's disability to properly encode 21:9 (and sometimes, 16:9) videos.
If you're using a 21:9 monitor, then you probably noticed that most "21:9" videos on youtube (e.g. almost every movie trailer that exists) and netflix (all 21:9 : all) are actually 16:9 videos with letterbox encoded. That means you usually see black borders on all four sides. Ultrawidify aims to fix that.
This extension can also attempt to automatically determine aspect ratio on Netflix and on Netflix only, provided some requirements are met. See below for more details.
Github's here: https://github.com/xternal7/ultrawidify
* 'More options' button is broken on youtube. Again.
* NETFLIX IS BROKEN. I'm working on a fix, but I won't be able to actually test it with netflix for another month or so. Sorry for that.
w : fit to width
e : fit to height
r : reset video size
z : zoom
u : unzoom
a : attempt to automatically determine aspect ratio (Netflix only)
d : force 21:9
s : force 16:9
x : force 16:10
c : force 4:3
===Aspect ratio autodetection for Netflix===
* Netflix, not youtube
* Netflix must be in English
* Movie title must be in English/the original title
* Movie must be known by OMDB
* Movie must have aspect ratio info on IMDB
This feature works by grabbing the movie title off Netflix and throwing it at third party services. Depending on whehther OMDB and IMDB throw back things they're supposed to (OMDB takes title and throws IMDB id, IMDB takes the ID and throws us 1700+ lines, which should contain the aspect ratio somewhere in between).