Removes black bars on ultrawide videos and offers advanced options to fix aspect ratio.
If you're using a 21:9 monitor, then you probably noticed that most "21:9" videos on youtube (e.g. almost every movie trailer that exists) and netflix sometimes have black borders on all four sides. Ultrawidify aims to fix that.
* Youtube, Netflix, Twitch, Vimeo
Extension works (should work) on other sites as well (and is enabled by default). I am, however, unable to test every video streaming site for various reasons (unaware of it, not available in my country, etc.), which means it's possible that extension doesn't work on, or in some really bad cases, even breaks them.
IF EXTENSION BREAKS A SITE (if you're seeing incorrect crops)
* please contact me (github/email/reddit). Please provide screenshots (video is a bonus) and the relevant details (see github/email/reddit message template)
IN CASE EXTENSION DOESN'T WORK ON A SITE YOU USE:
* please contact me (github/email/reddit). If I'm unable to access the site, I might ask for additional help with testing
* Adding support for additional sites could be relatively easy. You can try following this guide (note — guide is work in progress):
KNOWN SITES WHERE EXTENSION DOESN'T WORK
* Reddit (redesigned) — support not possible in non-fullscreen player because of the way new reddit is coded. Not possible for fullscreen-only because of the way extension is coded.
* Disney+ — Geoblocked in my country, which means it's going to be supported if community fixes it.
Youtube, Twitch. It may work elsewhere, but not guaranteed as I can't test all sites.
Chrome version of this addon does NOT work on Netflix and other sites that use DRM.
Github's here: https://github.com/xternal7/ultrawidify
Full list of features (WIP): https://github.com/xternal7/ultrawidify/wiki
=== Features ===
* Can be enabled or disabled on per-site basis
* Crop or stretch video to fit any aspect ratio
* Best automatic aspect ratio detection (can be enabled/disabled entirely or on a per-site basis, separately of the extension)
* Supports Youtube theater mode
* Experimental: rebindable shortcuts in extension settings
=== Keyboard shortcuts ===
Note that keyboard shortcuts may conflict with websites' native shortcuts. In case of conflicts, conflicting keyboard shortcut could be broken.
* A - automatic detection (continuous)
* W - crop to fit width
* H - crop to fit height
* S - crop for 16:9
* D - crop for 21:9
* X - crop for 18:9
* R - reset crop (also resets zoom and panning)
* Z - zoom in (QWERTY Y for non-latin keyboard layouts)
* U - zoom out
* shift (hold) + hover mouse over video — pan video
=== Known issues and limitations ===
* Unclear how extension handles sites with more than one video per page.
* Autodetection can sometimes be wrong
* DRM schemes prevent autodetection from working. Unlike with Firefox, there's no workaround for this issue that would work with Chrome and most Chrome-based browsers.