Removes Ads and the user interaction tracking from content on Facebook™
[2020-04-08] Sponsored post removal may be broken for many people. Facebook changed things and made it much more difficult to detect. I'm working on it... Everything else should still work as intended.
Please report bugs at https://github.com/mgziminsky/FacebookTrackingRemoval/issues
Removes Ads and the user interaction tracking from content on Facebook™.
Modified elements can optionally have a custom CSS style applied to them so that cleaned items can be more easily identified.
For links, the event listeners on the link and its parents are removed and/or disabled and a proper href is set.
For videos on mobile, all Facebook™ event-listeners and custom controls are removed, and the video is simplified into just the bare HTML5 video tag.
Explanation of permissions:
- Access to facebook.com, messenger.com, and facebookcorewwwi.onion is needed for main functionality, in order to do anything on those pages.
- Access to mgziminsky.gitlab.io, more specifically https://mgziminsky.gitlab.io/FacebookTrackingRemoval/*, is used to download blocking rules only. No data is sent, and nothing is tracked by me.
Project is completely open source, so you are welcome, and encouraged, to check the code yourself before installing.
- Code optimizations and performance improvements
- Improved performance
- No more tabs permission
- Style changes now happen without reloading the page
- Detect new form of sponsored posts
- Improve performace when styling is enabled
- Fix minor bug when cleaning link info bubble
- Fix fallback rule loading for whitelisted clicks and param cleaning
- Fix extension not working at all when "Fix external links" is disabled
- Add more details to log when something is hidden/removed
- Support messenger.com - Closes #27
See https://github.com/mgziminsky/FacebookTrackingRemoval/blob/master/CHANGELOG for full list