STC-Specific modifications of Service Now.
Source Code: https://github.com/YaleSTC/Service-Now-Tweaks
1) On an incident page, hover over the "☸" icon to see helpful information about how STC uses each field. A dark purple/pink background indicates a field we're most often concerned with throughout the life of the ticket. The blue background indicates a field we're most concerned with upon resolving a ticket.
2) Press enter while editing the "Short Description" to have the Knowledge Base search popup appear (this has been requested to be put into SN core)
3) The description field has monospace font (to line things up to make them look tabular), and other slight view tweaks.
4) Not true anymore!
Each "New Incident" that is created will have the STC default template applied which has our "custom fields" in the description. (If for some reason we apply another template which doesn't have a text field like "description" filled out, we'll have to manually erase our custom fields).
Not true anymore!
5) A "New Incident" normally has the current user auto-assigned, but this extension stops that.
6) Incident number is put in the top blue bar, formatted with dashes
7) Less useful menu items in "Self-Service" are dimmed
8) Auto-open watch list
9) A keystroke helps you press "save & stay"
"alt + s" (or "alt + shift + s" in some situations?)
"ctrl + opt + s"
10) Hides the "mark as duplicate" button from the topbar (the bottom one is still there). This button was dangerous because it would close a ticket if you accidentally pressed it (which is irreversible!).
11) To the left of the short description box, the associated KB article's number appears if there is one. Even without the extension, this number is visible at the way bottom of an incident, this just makes it more salient.
12) Auto-application of the STC Standard template has been disabled (removed feature #4). We now use KB articles instead (see email to ST list, Sep 4)
13) If an incident does not have a KB article attached, its bars all turn red, and a reminder is displayed. All STC incidents should have a KB article attached. (see email to ST list, Sep 4). New, unsaved incidents will be spared this glaring red color, but anything that has been saved (and lacks a KB article) will have it.
14) When a search produces only one result, that one result is automatically clicked and you're taken to the page. We've implemented this in two situations:
a. When searching for KB articles (in incident creation)
b. When searching INC numbers (using either the SN Linker or the Chrome custom search trick "sn").
15) [replaced by #17]
16) The tab title bar has information now!
Search pages have number of results: "SN (23)"
Incident pages have the short description "[CC Name NetID] Description"
KB Articles have the title: "[STC] Request to Add An Ethernet Jack"
17) Color-coded Incidents have arrived! (via the Chrome extension) But you have to configure it first.
How To Configure
To make this feature work, you have to configure your search columns properly. (The Chrome extension can't know about any data not on the webpage.)
1) Update the extension
2) Have the "Additional Comments" column visible in your table, and put it to the far right. If it's not the last column, it won't work.
3) Have the "Incident State" column visible, anywhere. (If you don't have this, many on hold incidents will be red)
Red = no contact in >48 hours
White = contacted within the past 18 hours (whew :D)
Purple = on hold, (a purple ticket will gain a red border after 48 hours)
Green = resolved/closed
1. Emails sent via the "email button" (top right) aren't caught by this search, since they're not "additional comments" - you'll just have to be mindful of that.
2. You must have the column visible and to the right or this won't work
3. If you sort a column, you have to refresh the page to get the colors to work again
18) "viewable by client" appears next to "Resolve Notes"
19) Email threads are truncated! Any line of text that begins with ">" in an additional comment field is deleted while the extension is running. To see the full message, you can check the "email" that was generated by the additional comment.
20) In an incident, the title bar turns different colors in different situations:
Green if it's Resolved/Closed
Red if it doesn't have a KB article
Purple if it's On Hold
21) Short Description floats at the top of the page, so you can see which incident you have open
(known issue: tabs float over this making a weird visual effect, but nothing's broken)
22) Pasting an INC# with dashes (INC-000-0123 ) into the global search or Chrome searchbar => it will auto-remove the dashes to successfully search!
23) Incident Search (List) page will tell you what the Work Status of the computer is, if the Description column is showing. (Specifically, any line starting with "[x] Waiting for" in the description box)
24) At the top of each incident page, the brand, model, serial number, and warranty status are displayed if known (Specifically, it displays what comes after "Brand =====" in the description box, etc)
25) Hides "assign to me" and "bomgar session key" from the incident page
26) Updated color scheme in #17 above.