A tool to make simultaneous interpretation between two languages easier, for listeners and interpreters.
This tool allows listeners and interpreters to open a secondary interpretation meeting within the Google Meet and provides them with controls to make listening and interpreting easier. Currently, it only works in Google Meet and not Live Streams.
Without this extension, users have to open Google Meet in two different windows, both meetings at 100% volume.
How it works
- Interpreter or Organizer creates a separate Google Meet link for interpretation and share's the link to the people who will be listening in.
- Users (both interpreters and listeners) join the main meeting, and then activate the extension, paste the provided link and begin.
- Users will gain access to volume controls for both channels, as well as a mini-view of the interpreting meeting (in case there is content shared specifically in their language).
- All users joining the interpreting channel will be automatically muted and have their videos turned off. Only the interpreter get's an additional control to toggle their mic. However, uses can still use keyboard shortcuts within the mini-view to access their mic, video and chat functions. Search "Google Meet Keyboard Shortcuts" for more details.
- Interpreters / Organizers can also still share their screens from within the interpreting channel.
This project is open source, so if you'd like to add anything, request features, or more, please consult me at the project repository on Github: