A browser extension which displays pre-recorded sign language in the user's browser.
- www.gov.uk domain added to extension
- Click away won't close video window
- Close window button added
- Quick bug fix - After install redirect page set to www.lloydsbank.com
- Quick bug fix - Icon colours
- Quick bug fix - Video pausing
- Added new hostname to white list
- New windowed layout: bottom-left corner window
- Shows options menu on mouse hover
- Zoom In/Out window size
- Navigate to Signly website link and Logo
- Window size store locally in the browser
- Hide text instructions for translated pages
- Marks in-translation text segments with grey
Wouldn’t it be great if you could get a British Sign Language (BSL) translation of a webpage?
That’s what Signly does.
Signly browser extension displays a sign language translation of Lloyds Bank website. We hope other organisations will adopt this assistive technology.
The signing is pre-recorded, broadcast-quality, signed by qualified sign language translators.
If a signed version of a specific page is not already available, users can then select ‘Request Signed Content'.
How to install Signly browser extension for Chrome
1. Launch the Chrome internet browser on your desktop computer or laptop (not on mobile or tablet)
2. If you haven’t got Chrome, you can download it at https://www.google.co.uk/chrome/
3. Now click Add to Chrome
4. A small pop-up box appears advising the level of Permissions Signly requires to work. Click Add Extension
5. Congratulations you have successfully installed Signly!
6. Visit https://www.lloydsbank.com/ - you will see the Signly icon in the toolbar to indicate Signly is installed
7. Hover over some text and click the play icon to view the BSL
8. Any web page that is Signly enabled will be indicated by the icon lighting up in yellow.
9. If content is not available, you can request it by clicking the Request BSL translation button
10 Please let us know how you get on. Thank you!
WHAT IS SIGNLY BROWSER EXTENSION?
An extension adds features to web browsers on desktop computers and laptops. The Signly extension adds pre-recorded sign language to companies’ websites who have turned on the service. If no sign language is available on a page, users can request it.
WHAT BROWSER IS SIGNLY AVAILABLE IN?
Chrome and the beta version of Microsoft Edge based on Chromium
We are working on supporting other browsers like Safari/Microsoft Edge/Firefox/Explorer
WHO IS USING SIGNLY?
Right now, Lloyds Bank. You can see a list of companies that use Signly here https://signly.co/clients. Users can also request that companies turn on the service by installing the extension and clicking Request BSL translation.
WHY ISN’T EVERY COMPANY USING THIS SERVICE?
The idea is was launched in 2019 and is quite new. Please help spread the word if you like the idea.
WILL IT COST ME?
No. Signly is free to the user. The site owner pays.
WHO SIGNS THE CONTENT?
Signly does not use avatars. Signed content is provided by qualified sign language translators.
WILL SIGNLY WORK ON MOBILE OR TABLETS?
No. Right now, browser extensions do not work on mobile devices or tablets as Android and Apple have not added this feature (yet).
WHAT IF I HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE CONTENT, MY ACCOUNT OR NEED SUPPORT?
Please use the contact options on the site owners website
Please do not contact Signly.
The site owner is responsible for the content, help and technical support
Right click the Signly extension icon in the browser and click Remove.