Offers to make a quick search in google or other websites using the selected text.
When you select some text, it pops up a non intrusive baloon which allows you to do a search in google, wikipedia or twitter. I wrote it because FasterFox (aka SmarterFox, aka FastestChrome) took time to be ported to Chrome and I love this feature.
Moreover, there is some differences in Select Search wrt FasterFox:
- Baloon positioning rule is different, in particular the box is always accessible
- There is more search possibilities
- The baloon is also active on text fields.
- The baloon disapears as soon as you hit a key or after a period of inactivity.
- You can set transparency, order of the icons, number of rows, method of opening (new tab in background, new trab in front, same tab, only one new tab).
- I keep your settings between two updates and I guarantee you REAL PRIVACY (no requests to external servers unlike FasterChrome). Security warnings are because the extension is active on all web pages so I could log your history , but I DO NOT.
Note that you have to reload a page before having the baloon and the extension is disabled on chrome extension pages.
Note on local favicons for personalized search engines : due to new security measures by google I'm not sure to be able to do it with an upload form. Nevertheless you should be able to use a path like file://path_on_your_computer/your_favicon.ico
--------- Changelog ----------
1.4.7 Google manifest v2 migration
1.4.6 polish websites
1.4.5 Google translate added
1.4.0 adding two custom search fields
1.3.0 copy to clipboard (require new permission), better direct link support
1.2.19 direct opening of selected text in new link (see options).
1.2.18 google.com.au added
1.2.17 Ru added. May have encoding problems on non utf8 pages.
1.2.16 Flickr, Geograph.org.uk
1.2.14 Better internationalization, Youtube search.
1.2.13 Added Google Maps, Ebay, Binsearch and Facebook, more options available.
1.2.6. Twitter, transparency and number of cols setting in options.
1.2.5. Inclusion of jquery, possibility to select the order of the boxes in Options pages.
1.2.1. Feature about tabs asked by anonymous have been added in.
1.1.8. Fix of mr.gruev included with thanks to him.