Offers the ability to save tabs as Internet shortcut files.
NOTE: If you're experiencing a problem, please submit a support request, NOT a review, or email me.
Personally, I've always used Internet shortcut files for a variety of reasons. For example:
1. To passively share links to content via shared folders.
2. To supersede the temporary use of pinned tabs and bookmarks.
3. As portable links.
4. To accompany resources (installers with links to the websites, projects with links to assets, etc).
However, I always found them so awkward to create, hence me creating this extension.
Q: Can I get prompted for where to save each file?
A: Yes but you have to go to chrome://settings/downloads and enable the option "Ask where to save each file before downloading".
Q: Are you aware of X issue?
A: I'm not currently aware of any issues so please let me know if you've found one.
Q: Can I test upcoming features and fixes?
A: Yes, there is a beta version available here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/save-as-shortcut-beta/kmemfmaclfmhaddkneldhbcmlpoanbmg
Q: Does this extension have any tracking or collect any personal information?
A: Nope. Simple as that. In fact, multiple third parties have offered to pay me relatively large sums of money per month to inject their code into my app and I have always refused because I hate it when other developers do that so I don't want to be that person.
• 2.47.*: 2020/09/17:
- Replaced usage of "replaceAll" with "replace" and a global regex to restore functionality in Opera.
• 2.46.*: 2020/09/13 (published to beta first)
- Added handling of switching to the active tab of a different window.
• 2.45.*: 2020/09/12 (published to beta only)
- Made option to work around Windows' restricted characters enabled by default.
- Changed the replacing of normal slashes so that the Unicode slash is wrapped in Unicode thin spaces (U+2009) to make it look more normal.
- Changed the character replacement functions to do so for all instances, not just the first.
- Changed the text input elements' cursor types from pointer to text which is standard.
- Added tooltip link to the right of "Work around Windows' restricted characters" so that users can find out about how it works.
- Split CSS class "subSection" into "subSection" and "subSection_Indented" as it doesn't look right for "Save" but does for "Options".
- Increased the width of divider lines from 80 % to 90 %.
- Moved save buttons onto one line for a more compact, tidier look.
- Fixed missing colour fade to "Save" section when collapsed.
- Altered the collapsing function so that only one section can be open at a time.
- Added 2px border radius to buttons.
• 2.44.*: 2020/09/06 (published to beta only)
- Added option to work around Windows' restricted characters (disabled by default).
• 2.43.*: 2019/10/30
• 2.42.*: 2019/09/28
- Renamed option from "Number files in ZIP file" to "Preserve tab order by numbering files in ZIP file" to make it clearer what it's for
- Added conversion of old context menu preference to fix incorrect preference displaying
• 2.41.*: 2019/09/22
- Split context menu option from disabled and enabled to disabled, save current, and save current + save all
• 2.40.*: 2019/09/13
- Changed tabbing order so that Save button is first
- Fixed saving via pressing Return / Enter on text fields
• 2.39.*: 2019/08/22
- Changed default type to cross-platform.
- Added option for numbering files in ZIP file.
• 2.38.*: 2019/08/16
- Added keyboard shortcut and context menu options for "Save All".
- Changed "Save All" downloading method from individual files to a single ZIP file to work around OS connection limitations.
- Changed "Save All" downloading target from all windows' tabs to current window's tabs.
- Numbered files in ZIP according to their original tab position.
• 2.37.*: 2019/08/15
- Added option to download all tabs as shortcut files.
- Added "Recommended" to cross-platform option.
• 2.36.*: 2019/03/27
- Removed experimental shortcut type "Native" to avoid confusion.
• 2.35.*: 2019/03/27
- Added to options section: shortcut to chrome://settings/downloads.
• 2.34.*: 2019/03/25
- Added to options section: ability to disable context menu and shortcut to chrome://extensions/shortcuts.
- Tidied up code.
• 2.33.*: 2019/03/24
- Fixed a bug where the detected title / name and URL wouldn’t update on certain tab or content changes.
• 2.32.*: 2019/03/24
- Changed the downloading method so that the last download directory is remembered. A side effect of this means that you will have to enable the option "Ask where to save each file before downloading" in chrome://settings/downloads.
• 2.31.*: 2019/03/24
- Fixed type preference remembering bug.
- Tweaked font size and radio button labels so that clicking on them will tick the radio button.
• 2.30.*: 2019/03/23
- Fixed "undefined.undefined" filename error caused by initial installation / update.
• 2.29.*: 2019/03/22
- Added cross-platform (HTML) option.
- Fixed field tabbing.
• 2.28.*: 2019/03/22
- Added keyboard shortcut (set in chrome://extensions/shortcuts).
• 2.27.*: 2019/03/16
- Added context / right-click menu entry.
• 1.26.*: 2018/03/20
- Fixed broken downloading via Enter / Return.
- Fixed broken layout issues.
• 1.25.*: 2018/03/16
- Fixed broken downloading by (1) replacing webkitURL with URL and (2) replacing downloading via HTML (“<a href=”URL” download=”fileName”></a>”) with downloading via Google Chrome (“chrome.downloads.download”).
• 1.24.*: 2015/05/08
- Added ability to save shortcut simply by pressing the Return or Enter keys. Thanks to Matthew Hollander for implementing this on my behalf.
- Fixed font and layout rendering issues.
• 1.22.*: 2013/10/25
- Options for Internet shortcut filetypes.
- Removed library-dependencies.