Turn pieces of ANSI based text art and ASCII, NFO plain text into HTML.
RetroTxt is a handy little extension that takes old fashioned text files and stylises them in a more pleasing visual format. Despite the web being built on text, web browsers are often incapable of accurately displaying texts written during the pre and early web eras. This is where RetroTxt comes in! It imports the text into a modern format, injects a font that mimics a chosen retro computer, then applies styling to improve the display and readability. It can also double up as a text viewer for your locally stored, off-line files and even serve as an NFO text viewer.
In developing this extension I had a few goals in mind.
* Make it simple, by focusing on the styling of the text rather than extensive, cryptic character conversion options.
* Make it text, to take advantage of the browser's text parsing and rendering features for resizing, styles, searchability and accessibility.
* Make it semi-automated, so you can configure it once and then forget.
* Make it convenient, by using context menus that contain some of the more useful features and options.
* Make it light, by using the recommended Chrome guidelines to have less impact on your browser resources.