Remcast Clip Studio is a simple to use Chrome extension that lets you capture and curate digital content and tell visual stories.…
Remcast Clip Studio is a simple to use Chrome extension that lets you capture and curate digital content and tell visual stories. Use Remcast Clip Studio to save and embed visual content from the internet directly into your audio podcasts.
What are Remcasts?
Remcasts are ‘relational media podcasts’, visually engaging audio presentations which are linked to a wealth of resources from around the Internet. Remcasts let creative storytellers convert long-form audio presentations into segments, building visual stories which connect to the narrative. As audio stories play on the Remcast platform, websites, videos, images, biographies, and maps are displayed in real-time. Browse relational media presentations like you would social media, interacting with the content that connects you to the world.
Remcasts.com is a subscription Software as a Service (SaaS) for building relational media stories. Members are able to upload audio and build or reference blocks of information called ‘nodes’. Nodes are the people, places, things, and ideas in the world around you. Each node can be a stand-alone piece of information, like a picture, or text, or code, or can link to the digital world as enhanced URLs.
Stories matter. Embedding links and facts into your audio presentations make your message compelling, visual, and interactive. Remcasts connect your words and ideas to the world.
How it Works
Remcast Clip Studio works in conjunction with the Remcasts platform to build visually dynamic presentations. This Chrome Extension allows you to quickly and easily ‘clip’ links to resources from around the Internet, building links between narrative and fact. Users of the Remcasts platform utilize the Extension to identify related content from the digital space that enriches and enhances your narrative. With two clicks, you can gather websites URLs to embed into your presentation which are displayed as embedded links in your audio presentation.
Remcast Clip Studio also makes it easy to add your own content. You can add text, locations, websites, and descriptions, or even upload your own images directly through the Extension via your clipboard. Simply by pasting (Ctrl+V or Cmd+V), you can capture your images right from your desktop into Remcast Clip Studio and embed them into your audio presentations. Remcast Clip Studio takes care of uploading and aligning this content for seamless integration to your audio during playback.
About the Extension
The Remcast Clip Studio extension works directly with Chrome to allow you to create references to the content you find as you browse the internet. When you visit a site that is publicly accessible, you can right-click on the page and active the Remcast Clip Studio menu in the browser.
- ‘Clip Site’ will create a node for the website you are looking at. The URL, title, and metadata will form the basis to a new node which can be embedded into your audio narrative. It also gathers all the URLs of the images used in the site, so you can create visual links in a card format, similar to when sharing a website via a social media platform. If you are on YouTube, ‘Clip Site’ will read the Video ID and help you to embed this video into your presentation using YouTube’s native embed feature. Author and copyright information will automatically be extracted to provide these details.
- ‘Clip Image’ will create a node referencing an image, extracting the URL and accessibility metadata (alt tags) from the image. You can enrich the presentation for any image with a long-form description or commentary on why this image is important to you. You can add Copyright and Author information for images as well.
- ‘Clip Text’ allows you to extract any text you have selected in the browser. Clipped text can take on many forms: as people, places, things, or ideas which matter to you. Using the Remcast Clip Studio, you can easily start to build out profiles and biography of inspiring people or embed the ideas that matter to you.
- ‘Clip Location’ gathers the places you search for on the Google Maps platform, copying the URL so you can share locations and embed maps into your presentations. Clip Studio also extracts the longitude and latitude from the URL, making it easier to visualize this information and search for these maps by geographic proximity. So far, Clip Location only works with Google Maps, but additional platforms are coming soon.
Easy to Login
Remcast Clip Studio requires a Remcasts account but makes login easy and powerful with three options:
- You can login to the Extension directly from Remcasts. You will instantly receive a token which provides your extension access to the platform, and all the content you create is uploaded to your profile.
- You can login to the extension with your alias (username) and password.
- You can also login using a ‘Clip Code’, a temporary code which allows you or a designated third party to gather content for you. The Clip Code delegates your access to anyone without a Remcasts account to gather content for you, producing content that you can review and approve via your app. This works great in team settings: you can share a code which enables your entire team to gather content which you can review and approve.
The Remcasts API
Another powerful feature of the Clip Code is the ability to use it as a secure temporary connection between your application and the Remcasts platform via our simple APIs. Porting content into the Remcasts platform can be automated from any third-party application, allowing you to load bulk amounts of data via APIs and then link this data directly to your Remcasts. If you want to use these APIs, connect with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Your privacy is paramount to us. This extension does not collect any data on your browsing habits, the sites you visit, or extract content from any website unless you specifically activate it. Using this Extension has a limited scope as the data collected is only data you’ve explicitly selected or metadata from the HTML page, such as links, URLs, and metadata tags in the <head> section of the website. No data is upload to the Remcasts platform unless you open the Extension and click one of the Create buttons.
This Extension uses no cookies. User settings, such as login tokens and preferences are only preserved while your browser is open. Closing your browser clears this information completely, starting you off with a fresh session each time and making logout simple and fast.
Terms and Conditions
Use if this Extension is governed by the platform’s Terms and Conditions which may be found on the https://remcasts.com site.
0.0.0.3 Release Notes (2020-10-19)
• Added upload progress bar for clipboard
• Fixed alignment issues for images
• Added a ‘Jump to Section’ modal when clicking on the transcript sections
• Added a ‘Jump to Time modal when clicking on the transcript timestamp
• Fixed alignment issues on the play button
• Removed the logout button from the top status bar