Read text on a page using Google's high quality voices.
[ WARNING: You need to sign up for a Google Cloud Platform (GCP) account to use this extension. Heavy use of it (currently > 1 million character/month) will incur fees from Google. ]
Use Wavenet text-to-speech technology to read text from a webpage or your clipboard.
• Read back emails you've typed before you send.
• Read long articles in the background while you work
• Select from different languages and voices. Want to hear your text read with an Australian accent? Done.
• Read text in your clipboard (for pages that prevent right-clicking context menus).
• Keep track of your usage to help keep you from going over limit.
Google offers their excellent quality text-to-speech engine used by their assistant apps like Google's Home and Android assistant as a service.
This extension uses that service (that is still in beta) to read text out loud and it requires users register for a key to use it.
While this extension is free, the Text-to-Speech service starts charging when you exceed the monthly limit, so to help you keep under the maximum, it offers basic APPROXIMATE quota tracking.
The first 1 million characters per month are free from GCP cloud services.
Instructions for getting your own key are shown when you first use the extension. They can also be found here:
This extension protects your privacy. While it does require text that's converted to speech to be sent to Google's API to do the conversion, this extension has no other mechanism to save/record this text.
• Context Menu: this allows you to select text in a webpage, then right-click to see a menu. In that menu, you'll see a ReadMeTheText item that will send JUST THE SELECTED TEXT to this extension to be sent over https to Google's text-to-speech service. No other access to page is granted to the extension.
NOTE: You will be using your own Text-to-Speech API key that logs activity, but it's your Cloud account.
• Read Clipboard (Optional): if you ever get a page that takes over the right-click context menu, you can simply copy the text into your clipboard, then use a button in the extension to read it. You will be prompted to grant permissions before the extension can read your clipboard.
• Network communications ONLY to <https://texttospeech.googleapis.com>
• If you have chrome settings syncing enabled, your quota and settings will be synced across multiple machines when you're logged into google chrome on all of them. This feature is to help track your usage of the text-to-speech since Google will charge if you go over the free limit.
Read more in the Privacy Statement: https://www.readmethetext.com/privacy