Receive and listen to FM and AM radio broadcasts on your browser or ChromeBook using an RTL2832U-based USB digital TV tuner.
This application captures radio signals from the tuner, does FM and AM demodulation in the browser, and plays them through your computer's speakers or headphones. This is called SDR (Software-Defined Radio), because all the radio signal processing is done by software running in the computer.
* Stereo FM.
* Scan for stations.
* Record what you hear on the radio.
* Built-in bands:
- International and Japanese FM bands.
- Weather band (US and Canada).
- Medium Wave AM (requires an upconverter).
* Free-tuning mode to use the program as a multi-band radio and listen to anything: short wave, air band, marine band, etc.
* Supported modes: Wideband FM, Narrowband FM, AM, SSB.
Radio Receiver was written to work with an RTL-2832U-based DVB-T (European digital TV) USB receiver, with a R820T tuner chip. You can easily buy one for $15 or less by searching for [RTL2832U R820T] on your favorite online store or web search engine.
To listen to Medium Wave and Short Wave radio, you need an upconverter installed between your antenna and the USB dongle. This upconverter shifts the signals up in frequency so that they can be tuned by your dongle. You can find upconverters for sale by searching for [SDR upconverter].
Source code available at https://github.com/google/radioreceiver under the Apache 2.0 license.