Document manager for PDF, web content, books, and notes with tagging, annotations, and highlighting.
Polar is a powerful document management platform for the web, and desktop including Mac, Windows, and Linux for managing all your web content, books, and notes. Polar keeps all your content in one place, supports tagging, annotation, highlighting and keeps track of your reading progress.
Polar supports PDF as well as web content and supports fully offline operation and archives your documentation long term.
Polar is both a web and cloud-aware desktop app and allows you to manage your reading and cache web pages offline for long term archival.
Polar supports a number of powerful features including:
- First-class PDF support thanks to PDF.js. PDFs work well when reading content in book format or when reading scientific research which is often stored as PDF.
- Full caching of web pages for offline storage and archival keeps the full fidelity of the web page available for your use over the long term.
- Pagemarks allow you to easily keep track of what you're reading and the progress of each document. Pagemarks enable non-linear reading and the ability to suspend and resume individual documents for later consumption.
- Offline-first: All content is stored locally. You can also use a system like git or Dropbox to transfer your repository across machines.
- Hackable: The entire system is Open Source and based on Electron, Node, pdf.js, React and other web standards. If you're a developer - welcome home!
- Standards Based: All content is stored as JSON in a well documented schema. Annotations never change the original content which keeps your document repository safe.
- Fully cloud-aware with replication across desktop and web including Linux, Mac and Windows and web.
Annotations are a central feature to POLAR. While reading documents you can underline text or create area highlights. Once created, you can attach additional metadata to annotations such as comments and flashcards.
The document repository allows you to manage your documents in one place - sort by reading progress, or time added, archive and filter flagged documents.
Polar supports reading and annotating HTML documents. We call this process 'capturing' content and we store the document permanently in your own private archive. Since most pages aren't designed for reading and have ads, chrome, and other annoyances within the page, we render the content as a tablet device to make the content more readable.
Emulate multiple browsers and mobile content to make sure pages captured are rendered properly.
All content is stored in a personal archive which allows you to refer back to important documents and view annotations over time.