Enable the Low-Volume-Mode to hide images and turn down colors.
Easy: check one checkbox - Low-Volume Mode - to:
- Turn all images into grayscale / transparent
- Turn down all colors to black/grey
- Remove all backgrounds
- Affect all currently opened tabs
- Affect all opened tabs in the future
- Remember the mode even when Chrome was closed and reopened
When you don't need the mode anymore, uncheck the checkbox and every web page in every tab will be displayed "normally" again. No reload is necessary.
- Low-Volume Mode -> ALT-A