Opens Google Patents for a selected patent identifier.
This solution allows you to quickly open Google Patents for a selected patent identifier.
Select a patent identifier in text, then open the context menu and select "Open Google Patents" from the menu. You can normally open the context menu by right-clicking. For example, selection of "US7654321," and then "Open Google Patents" from the context menu, opens a new tab to the URL https://patents.google.com/patent/US7654321.
Note that in the absence of a country code prefix, the presumption is that the identifier is for a US patent document. Be sure that the identifier has the country code included if the associated document is not a US patent document.
Please let me know of any issues you experience before writing a review -- I'm happy to continue to improve the solution. The extension is provided 'As-Is' without any express or implied warranty of any kind.
Note that I do not collect any information from the extension -- all handling is done at your local browser.
Wolf Mountain IP, LLC
- Added selected text to the context menu item.
- Updated to force uppercase for country code and kind code since Google Patents doesn't always handle lowercase letters.
- Improved memory utilization.
- Modified code to require minimal permissions.
- Removed handling of links, as this functionality was of minimal value, and this removal allowed for a reduction in needed permissions.
- Updated to better handle text selected within a text input box.
- Updated to handle US reissue patent identifiers without a "US" country code prefix.
- Updated to link to newer Google Patents instead of legacy version. That is, https://patents.google.com/patent/ (new) instead of https://www.google.com/patents/ (old).
- Updated to handle identifiers without country code but with a kind code.