Visualize and understand number values and relationships
Number pieces help students develop a deeper understanding of place value while building their computation skills with multi-digit numbers. Students use the pieces to represent multi-digit numbers, regroup, add, subtract, multiply, and divide.
This virtual version of our Base Ten Area Pieces is an open-ended educational tool, ideal for elementary classrooms and other learning environments that use laptops, iPads, or Chromebooks.
Number pieces are a key component of Bridges in Mathematics, second edition. Online preview available.
• Add and manipulate pieces (ones, tens, and hundreds).
• Change the starting set of pieces to a basic or an advanced set.
• Join pieces in groups of ten or break them apart (e.g., 10 ones into 1 ten and vice versa).
• Use expanding edge pieces like a measuring tape to show dimensions of arrays created with the pieces.
• Choose from three different colors to clearly identify groups or pieces.
• Move, rotate, and duplicate pieces individually or as a group.
• Use the drawing tools to label representations and show understanding.
• Add equations, expressions, and descriptions with the math text and writing tools.
• Zoom and scroll to work with larger collections of pieces.
• Share your work by saving an image or providing a share code to others.