Visualize and understand number values and relationships
Number Pieces, a virtual set of base ten pieces, helps students develop a deeper understanding of place value while building their computation skills. Use the pieces to represent single-, double-, and triple-digit numbers. Join pieces together or break pieces apart to visualize regrouping. Build arrays with number pieces to explore multiplication and division.
This virtual version of the manipulative is an open-ended educational tool, ideal for elementary classrooms and other learning environments that use laptops, iPads, or Chromebooks.
Number pieces are a key component of Bridges in Mathematics, second edition. Online preview available.
• Add and manipulate pieces (ones, tens, and hundreds).
• Change the starting set of pieces to a basic or an advanced set.
• Join pieces in groups of ten or break them apart (e.g., 10 ones into 1 ten and vice versa).
• Use the expanding edge piece like a measuring tape to show the dimensions of arrays created with the pieces.
• Choose from three different colors to clearly identify groups or pieces.
• Move, rotate, and duplicate pieces individually or as a group.
• Use the drawing tools to label representations and show understanding.
• Add equations, expressions, and descriptions with the math text and writing tools.
• Zoom and scroll to work with larger collections of pieces.
• Hide and reveal work with resizable covers to create your own problems and model strategies.
• Share your work by saving an image or providing a share code to others.
For more Number Pieces resources and other apps, visit:
To learn about Bridges in Mathematics, an elementary curriculum that employs visual models like number pieces, visit:
This resource is brought to you by The Math Learning Center, a nonprofit organization dedicated to K-12 education since 1976.
Number Pieces was made possible by a generous donation from Dr. David Moursund.
This app was crafted by Clarity Innovations. We help improve teaching and learning by creating solutions that match promising technologies with the needs of education.
Visit us: www.clarity-innovations.com