Transfer files between local devices (within the same building) without lengthy and insecure uploads and downloads.
Fast, direct and secure peer-to-peer transfer of large files between devices in the same residence, school, or office building.
This is a lightweight solution to serverless file transfer between devices connected to the same local area network (LAN), such as those in the same school, workplace, or home. No logging in or registration is required: the offer to transfer a file and the acceptance of that offer is done using links in emails. This way, the connection can be made without any server, other than the email server, being involved. It is therefore quicker and more secure than using attachments or the cloud.
Cross-compatible with the latest versions of the Chrome and Firefox browsers. Tip: Firefox to Firefox transfers are faster as Firefox can send and receive large files in one go, whereas Chrome requires behind-the-scenes division of the file into smaller chunks.
To transfer a file:
1. Start the app.
2. Either drag and drop into the app window the file you want to transfer, or press the Choose File button and select the file.
3. Click the link that appears in the middle of the page to send an email invitation to whoever you want to send the file to.
- You must keep the page open while you wait for the recipient to respond.
- With some email clients, before sending the email you may need to place your cursor after the link in the email and press Enter to convert it into a clickable link.
4. When the recipient clicks the link in your email, accepting your invitation to transfer the file, and you click the link in their acceptance email, the transfer process begins. When it is complete, the recipient sees a Save link for them to press to save the file to their device.
As this is Beta software, please let me know if you encounter problems with the app, using the Support tab of the app's page in the Chrome Web Store. In particular, you may find problems with the transfer stopping part way through, as I am as yet unsure of the maximum speed possible between different devices and using varying qualities of network.