Use Messenger.com at night! A UNOFFICIAL night mode for Facebook's web app. We have no affiliation with Facebook.
A NOTE TO NEW & CURRENT USERS:
- Hi all, it seems that Facebook is planning a big change to Messenger, which may include Messenger.com. If that happens, this extension will invariably break. If Facebook provides their own dark theme, then I'd love to thank everyone who used and contributed to this extension and it was fun while it lasted! If there is still no native night theme supported, I will try my best to re-establish functionality within 1-2 weeks or so. Please understand that it may take some time. Cheers, love you all.
- Secondly, because of the shocking number of copy-cat extensions out there, I've decided to hide the source code of this extension BUT if you have any concerns, please shoot me a message and I'd be happy to show you the code.
REGARDING THE BROWER HISTORY PERMISSION REQUEST:
- There are some users who understandably are concerned about one of the permissions requested from this extension. At the time of this extension's initial dev, accessing the Tabs API - which was necessary for me to make sure this extension ONLY activates on Messenger.com and not your other websites as you browse around - sent the warning message to users that I'd be able to "read your browsing history." This extension doesn't actually ingest/read/track/save your history in ANY way.
- In any case, I believe the Tabs API is no longer necessary to enable this functionality, so I've begun to roll out a release that reduces the requested permissions. If you are still concerned, please feel free to message me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I take user privacy seriously. At the same time, this is a side project for me, so I ask your patience as I try to get to your request. Cheers.
Night Messenger is an UNOFFICIAL Night Mode for Messenger.com.
Simply click the icon to use.
As of v1.2.5, this extension can be now considered "stable".
DETAILED INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
1. Install by clicking "Add To Chrome."
2. Go to Messenger.com and sign in. (If you already have the window open, refresh it!)
3. Click the extension's icon.
4. You should now be in Night Mode. Yay!
FEATURES IN THE WORKS:
- UPDATED EXTENSION ICON: Let's face it, it looks pretty basic right now.
v1.3.3 - Some color fixes, begin deploying reduced permissions.
v1.3.2 - Enabled custom colors, fixed more broken elements (from Facebook's updates to Messenger.com)
v1.3.1 - Facebook's new styles (big bold text, etc) are starting to creep in. Fixed some things to clean it up! Also, added a Makefile to the source code to speed up and automate some of the building stuff!
v1.3.0 - Miscellaneous fixes. Thanks to the following for filing feedback and issues: henriklb, zorawar87, BlinkSun, blakebuthod, thepcwiz101.
v1.2.9 - Thank you to Phat Tran for the awesome contribution and PR!
v1.2.8 - Fixed emoji padding - thanks Alexander for the PR!
v1.2.7 - Added icons! And minified images! And minified CSS! This means faster loading everytime you load.
v1.2.6 - Routine update, adding back and correcting old styles. Behind the scenes optimizations for more rapid development using gulp.
v1.2.5 - YouTube video demoing the installation of the extension has been added. Also, as per user "Andy M's request, the permissions have been reduced to just Messenger.com as they should have been. Thanks Andy! Also - to all users - in the interest of clarity, please remember that if you have any concerns about how your data is being exposed to this extension, you can check the link to the code at the bottom of this post. The code open-source.
v1.2.4 - Reverted a "Border" that was added around each message by a Facebook update.
v1.2.3 - Tweaked UI CSS for new elements that have since been added; added subtle animation for new unread messages.
v1.2.2 - Tentative visual update with a new color scheme!
v1.2.1 - Fixed a bug with initial load (thank you Rebecca!). Removed dependency on jQuery and now uses Vanilla JS. Opted to use ID instead of CLASSNAME for nightmessenger file.
v1.2.0 -Saved State has now been implemented. Now, your on/off preference should be saved to the cloud. Also: removed unnecessary files, modified permissions to allow for the "saving" feature.
v1.1.4 - Bug fixes (derp). Coverage of CSS elements is nearly complete.
v1.1.3 - Bug fixes. More elements have been switched over. Certain behind the scenes optimizations should make the extension toggle more responsively.
V1.1.2 - Bug fixes. Optimized performance a little bit. Removed annoying Messenger mobile app banner.
V1.1.1 - Bug fixes. Changed the way that "night mode" was applied/removed in the background.
Link to the code on Github: https://github.com/aflashyrhetoric/nightmessenger