Mouseover Translate – Mouse Tooltip Translator translate mouseover text using Google Translate.
When mouse hover on text, it shows translated tooltip in any desired language.
- Visualize tooltip on any web page (except chrome web store site)
- Using google translate to translate in any language
- In the setting, google TTS (text to speech) is available to listen text
- Support pdf to display translated tooltip using Mozilla PDF.js
- Filter out when source language and target language are same
- (Experimental feature) show comic bubble translation
when mouse over on comic bubble background
# Source code
# Setup Guide
If pop-over translate tooltip is not came out properly after installation, user need to reload all your existing pages to run web page with this extension for using extension feature. And, make sure to setting target translate language properly from pop up configuration page. Pop up configuration page is provided by click extension icon top right corner and click this extension's blue mouse icon. If user want to use this extension on local file, user need to set “allow access to file URLs” from chrome://extensions/?id=hmigninkgibhdckiaphhmbgcghochdjc.
# Change Log
- Support translator to translate word (request by Amir Rezaei)
- Support reverse translate (request by Amir Rezaei)
- When activation hold key is set, turn off permanent feature enable
- Change promo tile name to Mouseover Translate
- Change manifest description to Mouseover Translate
- remove vue jsx
- fix popup page title name
- add "about section" on popup page
- Support multilingual manifest description again
- Rollback "Setup Guide" description
- Google reject by “Having excessive keywords in description” again
- No detail guideline is provided. Make guess to remove some item.
- Remove all "Detail Description"
- Remove all "Setup Guide"
- google reject by “Having excessive keywords in description”
- Guideline is provided to fix some description item.
- Remove “Supported Translation Languages with google translate”
- Remove “Supported TTS languages with google TTS”
- Avoid frequently mentioned Mouse tooltip translator in description
- Remove multilingual manifest description
- Rollback google translate respond to fix it
- Rollback extension name to Mouse tooltip translator
- Change name, Mouse tooltip translator to Mouseover translator
- Support font size customization (request by Ramy_Ahmed.87)
- Support Bing translator (request by Ramy_Ahmed.87)
- Fix google translate response
- Fix hide tooltip (show tooltip after mouse move)
- Support multilingual manifest description using google translate
- Filter out when only detect currency sign text
- Fix base64 image OCR response
- Use Vue JSX on popup page
- Use Vue and Vuetify on popup page
- Add options_ui
- Add step to load base64 image on OCR
- Add step to resize image on OCR
- Add image preprocessing step on OCR
- Fix URL text filter
- Filter text that only include number and special character
- Hide tooltip when leave tab
- Fix hiding when ctrl+a or ctrl+f is pressed
- Only load bootstrap tooltip library (not whole bootstrap)
- Apply script lazy load on manga OCR library script
- Use transform method for tooltip positioning
- Fix TTS (text to speech) stop message sending
- Fix OCR image load
- Use zodiac3539's train data for tesseract jpn_vert OCR
- Fix scrolled tooltip dictionary position
- Hide tooltip when ctrl+a or ctrl+f is pressed
- Change popup page container design as cool design
- Stop played TTS (text to speech) when leave tab
- Only activate tooltip when tab is focused
- Support bubble translate using tesseract.js (OCR) and opencv.js
- Update translated pdf viewer using PDF.js 2.5.207
- Filter out text that has over 1000 length
- Fix to save setting correctly
- Change hold key to action immediately
- Fix popup page capital letter
- Fix subframe pdf to work correctly
- Fix dropdown menu crash from site that use bootstrap
- Fix pdf line break
- Add fade animation
- Fix TTS (text to speech) enabled case to recognize
- Increase tooltip margin
- Prevent translate on URL text
- Support pdf tooltip translate using Mozilla PDF.js (pdf reader)
- Support long sentence for TTS (text to speech)
- Fix tooltip container arrow display error
- Fix key hold error (issue on tab switching)
- First release
# Operation Guide
Mouse tooltip translator is a google chrome extension that give convenient translate experience to user based on mouseover action. It uses text hovering event to decide which text is required to be translated for user. It automatically detects pointed area and it collect near words to group them as sentence for sentence translate service. This translator extension translate mouse pointed sentence text into user desired language text using google translate. For providing easy user experience on translate, it directly displays given translated text with clean pop-over tooltip. User does not require any other more action for translate text. This extension minimizes general user action process to use translator which open new tab for using google translate to translate.
This extension is positioned between user and google translate for providing simple translate experience with google translate service. When text translate is required, this translator extension request translate service for given text to google translate. Google translate communicates given text to provide its translated text to the extension. Then, this translator extension handles given translated text to display in popover tooltip format. Its translated text can be in any foreign text with google translate. Google translate provide multilingual translate service which support more than 100 language translate. In this translator extension’s popup setting page, supported translate language list is provide to user. User can select any user desired translate language for google translate in this translator extension. Not only support google translate but also support Bing translator to give variety on user translate experience in this translator extension. Currently, this translator extension does not have any planned yet to support other translator like naver translate service, papago translator. Papago translator api is payment requirement service to use. This free serviced tooltip translator does not have any handling way to deal with payment on translate service for papago translator.
In this translator extension, user does not require a process to select source translate language for translate because this extension handle language detection feature based on google translate language detection. This translator extension sends its mouse pointer text data to google translate and receive translated text with language detection data at the same time. Google translate provide detected language type of given text and its translated text in one json format data. This translator extension handles its auto language detection feature which provide ease on user to minimize user interaction on source language selection for translate. Most of web site text does not require to provide source language selection to determine language to translate. This translator extension uses google translate auto language detection feature to automatically understand its source language to translate correctly with google translate. User can use this feature by select “auto” in this translator extension’s pop-up configuration page. If user want to use google translate in specified source language translate service, this translator extension provides source language selection on pop up configuration page to select to use google translate in any user desired source language.
Auto language detection is used to filter out user known language text to prevent tooltip translate for providing clear web site experience. This translator extension use google translate to detect same source target language to decide display translated tooltip or not. Main reason to filter out is to not disrupt on web site experience because same type of language situation does not give much difference on translate result. If there is no filter out, user known language tooltip will be displayed every time which may cause eye fatigue. For this reason, this translator extension detects language type of mouse over text to prevent translate service on same type of language.
Mouse tooltip translator is individual developer’s created extension that is not officially made by google. It just handles google translate and google text to speech service to give ease translate experience to user. This translator extension does not own google translate and Bing translator. Google translate is owned by google and Bing translator is owned by Microsoft. This translator extension handles Google’s provided google translate service to user without any profit. Main purpose of this translator extension is to remove language barrier on web site for society contribution. It gives free translate experience on any web site and it does not include any advertisement for clear translate experience. This translator extension handles provides simple and clear tooltip translate service on anywhere include news, social media, YouTube comment, pdf and any text web site.
As a social contribution, this translator extension is open-source project in MIT license. Any developer can read its source code in the GitHub. In the GitHub, any user can check its main translate functionality and no harmful code injection. This translator extension does not track user translate history and it even does not inject google analytics code in this translator extension. This translator extension respect user privacy but user need to keep in mind that it sends hovering text to google translate for translate purpose. It uses any usage data only for google translate (and google text to speech) purpose. This translator extension does not share its usage data with any other third parties.
This translator extension is intended to display simple and clear translated tooltip. It is not designed for any additional display feature like word pronunciation and additional word type description. This translator extension is intended to give ease translate to support user productivity on web page reading for any language with minimization on information overflow. This translator extension’s main design focus is to straight forward transmission on its translated sentence for clear user experience.
For supporting translate feature, this translator extension support feature that spoke original text pronunciation using google TTS (text to speech). It provides google TTS (text to speech) to speak pointed source text to user to listen its voice. To using this feature, user need to enable TTS (text to speech) feature from pop up configuration page. This translator extension uses google TTS (text to speech) to speak original text based on computer voice to give user to have an idea on how to pronounce its text. With this translator extension, any language learner student can enhance pronunciation knowledge skill on any language by listening this translator extension’s google TTS (text to speech) speech voice.
This translator extension can be used on language learning. Any language learner student can easily get pointed text’s translated result with this extension. User can compare pointed original text and its translated text without new page conversion. This comparison experience encourage user to memorize its pair in mind smoothly on any contents. With this translator extension, user can improve user’s language skill by understand translated tooltip from any user concerning contents like foreign novel and foreign news article. This can be used as language education model for user.
Built-in PDF viewer is contained in this translator extension. Its built-in PDF viewer support pdf file to provide mouseover translate feature over pdf text. This translator extension’s pdf supporting feature give a possibility to user to read foreign essay paper with translate service. This translator extension does not use chrome pdf reader. Chrome pdf reader provide pdf as embed text format which has difficulty on text crawling process for translate with this translator extension. This translator extension intercept pdf URL and redirect to mouse tooltip pdf.js page to provide pdf reader with mouseover translate feature. Local pdf file is also supported when user give local URL permission to this translator extension.
Currently, this translator extension has under development OCR feature to detect image text to process translate its text. When user mouse over on manga bubble background, this translator extension uses paint bucket brush method to mask out that positioned bubble to process OCR using tesseract.js to get its text for translate manga. If selected comic bubble background is not correctly separated from outside bubble with line, this translator extension's paint bucket brush method will mask out all page which lead to give fail OCR result.