Launch bookmarks based on rules.
This is my take on the extension Morning Coffee from Firefox, which allows you to launch bookmarks based on the day of the week. I wrote this extension for my own use, and am sharing it in case anyone finds it useful.
Please refer to https://sites.google.com/view/extension-mcoffee/home for instructions and examples on how to configure and use this extension.
A brief summary below.
1) create a folder named "mCoffee". If you have multiple folders with the same name, It will only process the first one found. If the bookmark folder "mCoffee" is not found, the icon will turn red. Clicking on the extension will then open a new tab to https://sites.google.com/view/extension-mcoffee/home.
2) Under the "mCoffee" folder, you can create the following subfolders (create only folders that you use, i.e. you don't need to create "Tue" if you don't have Tuesday specific items to launch)
ii) Mon / Tue / Wed / Thu / Fri / Sat / Sun
iii) 1 - 31
- place items for a specific day of the month here. For example, items in the folder "1" will be launched on the first day of the month (e.g. you want to check your bank statement every 1st day of the month).
- items that you want to launch from Mon - Fri
- items that you want to launch on Sat, Sun
- items here will be launched when the extension is loaded
- set conditions for launching items
- more advanced options can be set for bookmarks in the Rules folder, for example time blocks, tabGroups
- add the conditions as a comma separated list inside square brackets in the item's title, e.g. "Testing [2,Mon,Wed]" to launch the item "Testing" on the 2nd of the month, Mondays and Wednesdays
This is a very basic extension, everything is managed using the bookmark manager.
The extension checks if the URL is already opened in an existing tab, if so it won't launch a duplicate tab. Note that some sites automatically expands / redirect the base url. For example, if you launched https://mail.google.com the opened url will be https://mail.google.com/mail/. If you click on the extension icon again, it will open another tab for Gmail because "https://mail.google.com" doesn't match "https://mail.google.com/mail/".
THIS EXTENSION IS PROVIDED IN GOOD FAITH, HOWEVER I MAKE NO REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, REGARDING THE ACCURACY, ADEQUACY, VALIDITY, RELIABILITY, AVAILABILITY, FUNCTIONALITY
OR COMPLETENESS OF ANY INFORMATION ON THE EXTENSION.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHALL I HAVE ANY LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND INCURRED AS A RESULT OF THE USE OF THIS EXTENSION.
YOUR USE OF THE EXTENSION IS SOLELY AT YOUR OWN RISK.
This extension does not collect any data.
2022-08-16: version 188.8.131.52
- TabGroups should now reliably move to start of tab bar
2022-06-30: version 1.5.4
- TabGroup support. New tag “G_GroupName” for Rules. For example [Daily,G_News] will launch
the website in the tab group “News”
2022-04-27: version 184.108.40.206
- code changes to adapt to service worker behaviour in manifest 3
- removed 1 second delay in opening tabs
2022-04-23: version 1.5.1
- remove limit of 3 concurrent tabs, counter isn't right in some situations
2022-04-16: version 1.5.0
- manifest v3
- restrict to 3 concurrent running tabs
2021-08-06: version 1.4.1
- changed icon
- not setting badges anymore, status reflected in icon colour
- open release history page when extension is updated
1) rules support month condition
2) if the folder "mCoffee" isn't found, launch the website https://sites.google.com/view/extension-mcoffee/
1) new tag "Autostart"
2) tweaked badge background colours, badge icon shows the time of when the extension was last clicked.
1) code clean up
1) Rules - parse time range in 24h format, for example 19-21 to launch items between 7PM and 9PM inclusive.
2) Support for "Weekday", "Weekend"
1) New subfolder, "Rules"
bookmarks - needed to search for the mCoffee and associated folders
tabs - needed to check that the url is not already opened, and to launch a new tab
tabGroups - group tabs into groups
Icon for versions < 1.4.1 is from http://icongal.com/gallery/icon/34007/128/coffee_cup_breakfast_mocca. Icons from version 1.4.1 onwards is my own.
Legal Disclaimer adapted from https://termly.io/resources/templates/sample-disclaimer-template-guide/