McBopomofo for ChromeOS
Please note: Google officially announced in August 2023 that they will be planning to remove the API for third-party input methods. When this happens, this input method will be unusable. Please refer to the following link: https://chromeos.dev/en/posts/chrome-input-ime-deprecation.
* Please note: The extension only works for ChromeOS but not for Chrome for Window/macOS/Linux.
McBopomofo (小麥注音) is a smart phonetic (zhuyin/注音) Chinese Input Method Editor that offers another choice for inputting Chinese.
It has following features
- Comparing to the built-in Zhuyin IME, McBopomofo's behavior to handle punctuation is much more like other platforms that users are familiar to. For example, the built-in Zhuyin IME does not allow users to input punctuation like exclamation mark when there is already text in the composing buffer ,while McBopomofo does.
- Various keyboard layouts: Standard, ETen, Hsu, ETen26, Hanyu Pinyin and IBM.
- Various settings: including the position of the candidates, if Shift+Letter keys should input uppercase or lowercase letters and so on.Just visit the options page.
- Chinese conversion: You can use Alt+Shift+G to toggle if you want to input Simplified Chinese. You can also change the shortcut key in the extensions shortcut setting (chrome://extensions/shortcuts).
- Custom user phrases: Use Shift and left/right arrow keys to select a range and then press enter key to add a new phrase.You can also edit/delete/copy/paste the phrases in the options page.
- Emoji: Some Bopomofo syllables are associates with Emojis. For example, you can get 🔥 when typing ㄏㄨㄛˇ.