Shows you areas you can reach with public transport in your city in a given time
Rediscover public transport! Mapnificent shows you the area you can reach with public transport around places defined by you, be it your work place, your future apartment or your hotel. Mapnificent can display a colorful overlay representing the time it takes to reach every part of the city. Search the map and see immediately if places of interest are reachable in your chosen time frame.
Mapnificent is available for many major cities in the US and some other cities world wide. Currently available US cities are (among others):
Austin, Boston, Buffalo, Chicago, Cleveland, Dallas, Delaware, Denver,
Hampton Roads, Houston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis
New York, Philadelphia, Portland, Sacramento
San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, St. Louis, Washington
Outside the US:
Adelaide, Auckland, Berlin, London, Ottawa, Perth, Toronto/Hamilton area.
IF YOU WANT YOUR CITY TO BE INCLUDED, FOLLOW THESE STEPS:
1. Check if your local transit agency is on http://www.google.com/transit and NOT marked as "transit layer only". If it's not on there, go directly to step 5.
2. Check if they publish data in the GTFS format(General/Google Transit Feed Specification). Check for this on the agency's website or for an entry on http://www.gtfs-data-exchange.com/agencies/bylocation If you can't find anything about GTFS, go directly to step 5.
3. Create an idea at Mapnificent's feedback forum: http://mapnificent.uservoice.com/ and include a link to the transit agency's website and a link to their GTFS data.
4. I will include your city as soon as possible and will notify everyone subscribed to the idea. You can then write your local transit agency and thank them for publishing the data! You are done. Skip the next step.
5. There is no data available to the public for your city! Please contact your local transit agency and ask them to publish data in the GTFS format! Emphasize the benefit for you and other customers if developers are able to create cool apps with the data. You may also want to open an idea at http://mapnificent.uservoice.com/ to keep track of your enquiry, but don't expect the city to become available with no data.
If you have any other ideas, please share them in Mapnificent's feedback forum: http://mapnificent.uservoice.com/