Supercharge your Googling Experience -- be faster, smarter with the best search engine.
DISCLAIMER: due to time constraints I've stopped updating this extension with potential bug fixes and new features. If you're ok with that, go ahead. But I unfortunately cannot take feature requests or bug reports at this time.
Google Search is alright -- only the #1 search engine in the world -- but.. there's still some things it could do better.
Search fanatics and power users, this is the extension you've been dreaming about. Searching images, sources, Google Scholar, Wikipedia, YouTube and more, all from your Omnibar / Address bar with an enhanced, 2-column search view and hover-to-magnify on image searches (beta).
* You need to set your default search engine to Google to take full advantage of Magic Search's full suite of features
- - - -
- Efficient, no-scroll-necessary two-column search results view
- Search Highlight, for making important and common sources more visible in search results with colored titles
- QuickSearch: Search for images, Wikipedia, YouTube videos, Google News and Scholar, and Google News from the Omnibar. How?
- Image Zoom: hover on image results on Google to get a magnified version of it without a single click. It makes for a far-improved speed in image browsing! (beta, disable in settings)
Images - "img: your query" OR "images: your query"
YouTube videos - "yt: your query"
Wikipedia directly - "wiki: your query"
Google Scholar - "sch: your query"
Google News - "news: your query"
Google Books - "book: your query"
Google News - "news: query"
Flickr - "flickr: search terms"
Quotes - "quotes: keywords"
Wolfram | Alpha = "wa: query"
Amazon - "amz: your query"
Google Maps - "maps: your query"
Translator - "tl: OR translate: your words"
Urban Dictionary - "urban: query"
... and more added with updates!
For example, if you want to search from the address bar for YouTube videos on cats (who doesn't?), just type "yt:cats" and watch the magic happen. Or if you want to find the Wikipedia entry for Donald Trump, search for "wiki: Donald Trump", and let Magic Search do the work for you.
... and of course, tons more are coming soon, including color-coded search results, file type-sensitive search, and more. This is just the start.
But in the meanwhile, if you have any feature suggestions or questions, toss us a review, and we'll give it a shot!
- - - -
- New feature Image Zoom added (beta)
- This big update contains numerous bug fixes
- Main features like QuickSearch and Dual View are much more reliable and faster
- Added "I'm Feeling Lucky" to QuickSearch
- General Bug Fixes
- Magic Search now works with Urban Dictionary with the urban: keyword in QuickSearch!
- Minor performance and bugfix improvements
- Improved performance with optimizations and minified codebase
- Fixed: Sometimes DualView didn't activate when it should
UPDATE 1.1.2 / 1.1.3:
- Fix for QuickSearch sometimes being disabled by default
- Added help page for QuickSearch in options
- Improved nested QuickSearch with spaces
- Added support for iterative queries: e.g. "img: wiki: dogs" if that ever happens
- Added support for uppercase letters in query
- Introducing Search Highlight! Color the titles of certain websites (currently supported: Wikipedia, Stack Exchange, .EDU / .GOV) to be more noticeable on search pages. Can be disabled in options.
- This update adds an options page, so you can turn on / off the various features of Magic Search!
- Added QuickSearch compatibility for Flickr, BraiyQuote and Wolfram|Alpha
- Stability enhancements