Camera LUT Generator / Analyser / Visualiser.
New in 3.1
* New Feature - 'Display Colourspace Converter' tool to quickly convert current look to other base colourspaces (eg Rec709 version and then DCI-P3 version).
* New Feature - Sony Cinegamma 3 and Cinegamma 4 based upon analysis of test images taken with an a7s.
* New Feature - Separation on Rec2100 OOTFs and OETF/EOTFs for display referred conversions in PQ and Hybrid-log Gamma.
* New Feature - Splash screen displays progress bar.
* Feature Change - Full rewrite of the underlying high dynamic range (HDR) PQ and Hybrid-Log Gamma code.
* Feature Change - User interface improvements - online version now uses responsive design principals.
* Bugfix - Colour sliders in 'MultiTone' tool now correctly reflect the Gamut Limiter.
* Bugfix - Fixed problem with saving 1D-only LUTAnalyst lacubes and laluts.
* Bugfix - Fixed issue with Mac App not reading LUTs with upper-case file extensions.
New in 3.0
* New Feature - Choice of tricubic, tetrahedral and trilinear interpolation for analysis and use in LUTAnalyst.
* New Feature - Completely new gamut limiter algorithm and code. Legalises colours and fixes potential LUT overshoots when going from a wide Gamut such as S-Gamut3 to a narrow one such as Rec709.
* New Feature - P3 Colourspace now available with DCI, D60 and D65 white points.
* New Feature - Sony Standard Gammas STD 1-6.
* New Feature - 'Auto Title' button. Clicking it creates a LUT title containing input and output gamma and gamut details, plus basic info of customisation (currently black level and saturation).
* New Feature - 'Declip' button on the LUTAnalyst tool. Where LUTs appear to have been clamped (ie the maximum output value is exactly 1.0 and or the minimum exactly 0.0), the declip process will attempt to extrapolate the clipped values, then limit them within a sensible range without hard clipping.
* New Feature - 'DaVinci Resolve 12+ auto' preset option, to reflect that Resolve 12's default 'auto' clip range setting.
* New Feature - Custom Colour Space can now set primaries from a matrix and white point / illuminant.
* Feature Change - Complete rewrite of 3D interpolation / extrapolation code for efficiency, accuracy, clarity and maintainability.
* Feature Change - Extensive rewrite of LUTAnalyst code for improved accuracy.
* Feature Change - Reworked 1D interpolation code for speed and efficiency.
* Feature Change - New code for estimating the gamut triangle on the 'xy / uv chromacity' preview. Much more robust and efficient.
* Feature Change / Bugfix - Extensive rewrite of 'Custom Colour Space' code.
* Feature Change - Improved interpretation of Canon EOS Standard and Normal gammas.
* Bugfix - Gamut Limiter tool was blocking LUT generation.
New in 2.91
* New Feature - RED Gamma 1 and RED Gamma 2 using data from https://github.com/videovillage/RED-Conversion-LUTs.
* New Feature - Bolex Log and Bolex Wide Gamut.
* Bugfix - Reanalysed RED Gamma 4 against RED's 1D LUTs.
* Bugfix - BMD4.6kFilm Gamma output range.
New in 2.90
* New Feature - Batch-generate sets of exposure compensation LUTs across a user-selectable EI range and step size.
* New Feature - Gamut Limiter. Aims to contain the YPbPr of the output to within the display's range (Rec709/sRGB or Rec2020) when going from a wide gamut to a narrower one, even if the luminance is above legal and extended.
* New Feature - BMDFilm4.6k Gamma.
* New Feature - Canon EOS Standard Gamma (plus a version scaled to within legal range).
* New Feature - Canon Normal 1,2,3 & 4.
* New Feature - BBC 0.4, 0.5 and 0.6 Gammas.
* New Feature - RGB Sampler for sampling multiple points on preview images.
* Feature Change - White and Black clipping can be set individually, and either to the LUT's output range, or always legal.
* Feature Change - Preview display and charts now reflect any legal-range clipping applied.
* Feature Change - The 'Log Info' information button is now 'Tables', and shows IRE and 10-bit values for the current output gamma, both for various common reflectances and for each of +/- 8 stops around 18% gray.
* Feature Change - 1350% reflectance has been replaced by 'Clip', to reflect the white clip level of the currently selected camera.
* Feature Change - Reanalysed BMDFilm and BMDFilm4k Gamma.
* Bugfix - Fixed 'Print Chart' bug from the last update.
* Bugfix - Fixed issue in Mac App where white balances could not be taken from the CIE xy / uv preview image.
* Bugfix - Fixed broken ACEScc input code. ACEScc as a 'Rec Gamma' option now works as expected.
* Feature Removal - ALEXA-X-2 Gamut until I have reanalysed the tone map used.
New in 2.54
* Feature Change / Bugfix - RED Log3G10 code updated to version 2 of the spec, with bugfix to the chart input gamma code.
* New Feature - Rec2100 PQ gamma option including display linear code.
New in 2.53
* New Feature - REDWideGamutRGB and Log3G10.
* New Feature - Canon C-Log3.
* New Feature - Black Gamma.
* New Feature - Sony FS5 camera option.
* New Feature - Panasonic GH4 V-Log camera option.
* Bugfix - When using LUTAnalyst, the preview window was not automatically updating to reflect the analysed colour gamut.
New in 2.4
* New Feature - Print out or create a pdf of the Stop vs IRE chart, plus exposure table and IRE / 10-bit values for each stop from -8 to +8.
* New Feature - Alexa Classic 709 (Alexa-X-2) gamma and gamut.
* New Feature - Amira Rec709 gamma.
* New Feature - LUTAnalyst automatically sets output gamma and gamut to the analysed LUT.
* New Feature - Experimentally-derived DJI D-Log gamma for Zenmuse X3 / Osmo.
* New Feature - ProPhoto / ROMM RGB colourspace and gamma.
* Feature Change - Linear and conventional gamma options are now listed under 'Linear / γ' rather than 'Linear / Rec709' to avoid confusion.
* Feature Change - Improved LogC calculations from Arri's ACES IDTs.
* Feature Change - Improved luminance coefficient calculation from colourspace primaries.
* Feature Change - Improved flexibility in preset range settings for particular curve / format combinations.
* Feature Change - added 14-bit (16384 point) output option to 1D cube files.
* Feature Change / Provisional Bugfix - changed the way that Dolby PQ is scaled due to user feedback.
* Bugfix - xy/uv gamut outlines were failing for LUTAnalyst colourspaces.
New in v2.3.7
* New Feature - Hybrid-log gamma.
* New Feature - All Sony Hypergammas (1-8) plus Cinegammas 1 and 2 are now included (HG4 is also the same as Cinegamma 1, HG2 the same as Cinegamma 2).
* New Feature - Rec709(800%) with black at 3% (the built-in LUT in Sony CineEI mode) is now included as an input gamma option. Not an ideal situation, but can be used to reverse an accidentally burnt-in LUT in CineEI mode.
* New Feature - Provisional SmallHD preset based on SmallHD feedback - pending confirmation.
* Feature Change - Hypergammas 7 & 8 plus Rec709 (800%) have been recalculated along withe the other Hypergammas for precision.
* Feature Change - Improved / more robust gamma reversal code for LUTAnalyst.
* Bugfix - fixed slight offset to x-axis in LUT in / LUT out chart.
* Bugfix - Fixed initial black clip / white clip bounds on the stop chart not displaying.
* Bugfix - typo meant that SPI3D files were generated without the mesh sizes.
New in v2.3.4
* Feature Change - More flexible PQ selection.
* Bugfix - Fixed settings loading bug.
New in v2.3.3
* Restored - New information suggests that the original interpretation of V709 was correct. Removed the alternative and restored the .vlt preset.
New in v2.3.2
* New Feature - FCP X Color Finale / Color Grading Central LUT Utility Preset.
New in v2.3.1
* New Feature - Generic camera option where the user selects the recorded gamma and gamut.
* Bugfix - Gamma and gamut options properly hidden or revealed in OSX App.
* Bugfix - LUTAnalyst gamuts could become hidden when the format changed.
New in v2.3:
* New Feature - Gammas and Gamuts available sorted by manufacturer, type (log, display, HDR Display, etc) or as the previous flat list.
* New Feature - Additional MLUT format presets: Zacuto Gratical, Divergent Scopebox, AJA LUT-box.
* New Feature - 'Display gamma correction' preset for say mapping scene linear to Rec709 or γ2.4 to PQ.
* New Feature - GoPro Protune Gamma and Gamut (from ACES devel matrix and Cineform blog).
* New Feature - DRAGONColor, DRAGONColor2, REDColor, REDColor2, REDColor3, REDColor4 gamuts (from ACES devel matrices).
* New Feature - REDGamma3 and REDGamma4 (from LUTs on manufacturer's website).
* New Feature - Further Dolby PQ options listed by display nits for a 90% reference white.
* New Feature - Good Broyden's used to estimate gamut primary triangles for LUTAnalyst-read LUTs.
* Bugfix - Binary file saving now works in the OSX App.
* Bugfix - Fixed different binary saving bug in Chrome App.
* Bugfix - Re-analysed the Panasonic V-709 LUTs for both gamma and gamut. Lack of availability of a Varicam 35 has lead to uncertainty over the correct ranges to choose. Pending confirmation both interpretations of the gamma are given, though the .vlt preset assumes the new assumption of range.
* Bugfix - Fix incomplete input scaling bugfix from v2.2, which meant that scaling was only applied if both lower and upper bounds were changed.
New in v2.2:
* New Feature - Multitone. This combines two adjustments. You can set colour saturation on a stop-by-stop basis (eg for lower saturation in the highlights), and then set one or more colour 'washes' - a tint to zero saturation - at arbitrary stop levels. With Multitone you can create washes, duotones, tritones etc, or create alternatives to LC709A.
* New Feature - Custom Colour Spaces. Select 'Custom' in the recorded or output gamut boxes and a new panel appears where you can define one or more custom colour spaces, either using xy white point and primaries, or by entering matrix values and selecting the intended internal or working colour space.
* New Feature - Additional pure gamma curves, plus Rec709 and sRGB now show their effective pure gamma value with the actual exponent in brackets.
* Bugfix - Modal popup dialogs. Ensures that none of the other controls can be changed when a modal dialog box is up (eg 'Load Preview' details).
* Bugfix - cube files which did not use input scaling would still include the scaling command, potentially breaking compatibility with some software.
New in v2.1:
* New Feature - Knee adjustment. Add or adjust a knee with any output gamma. clip levels, range and smoothness (from hard conventional video knee to smoothly curved 'cinegamma') are all adjustable.
* Bugfix - changing the output gamma was not correctly setting the output range for the chosen format preset.
* Bugfix - file format options were not correctly loaded with 'Load Settings'.
* Bugfix - Values in Resolve 'ilut' and 'olut' format LUTs were separated with spaces rather than commas.
A desktop App for generating, analysing and previewing 1D and 3D Lookup Tables (LUTs) for video cameras that shoot log gammas.
* LUTCalc understands almost all log flavours in use today, plus standard gammas such as Rec709 and manufacturer-tuned versions. Log and conventional gamma data has been taken from manufacturer-published documentation or standards papers.
* LUTCalc can produce accurate exposure adjustment LUTs for use in post where a simple tool is often not currently available, such as with Sony's CineEI.
* Convert between any of the included log and conventional gammas or to one of a number of creative looks modelled after those available in camera, either as a 1D tone curve only conversion, or as a full 3D colourspace conversion (such as S-Log3/S-Gamut3.cine to Rec709(800%).
* Change the input settings but not the output settings as a base when working with different camera models on a multi camera shoot.
* Customise looks to taste, from simple black level and saturation adjustments to more complex effects such as desaturating specific colour ranges.
* Adjust colour temperature either by CTO / CTB as with gels or by source and desired colour temperature.
* Plus Green / Minus Green slider to correct for fluorescent lighting.
* Take white balances from test images.
* Output to any of a number of common LUT formats, automatically adjusted for the intended use (MLUT or specific post software).
* Produces MLUTs suitable for loading directly into Sony's cameras (as User 3D MLUTs), with other in-camera options in development.
* LUTCalc provides detailed exposure information about any look it generates, such as the recorded levels for absolute black, a correctly exposed 18% grey card or 90% white card and others. It takes into account any adjustments and tweaks that have been made. The levels would ensure that when working to a monitor LUT the log recording would be correctly exposed as designed.
* Charts show the tone curves for the recording and the output, plus indicate the absolute dynamic range of the camera - black clip and white clip - where it is known.
* The 'LUTAnalyst' tool can read LUTs in a number of formats. Where the recorded log and colourspace flavours it is designed for are known it will attempt to convert it for use as with any of the built-in options, and provide the same exposure and tone curve information.
* A 'False Colour' option can be used to generate accurate, log-curve specific exposure assistance MLUTs where it is not available in camera. Just don't bake it in!
* Full instructions and details of all options are provided.
* LUTCalc includes a number of built-in test images with charts such as high contrast and low contrast, greyscale and full colour gamut along with the option to load a .png, .jpg or .bmp.
* Waveform, vectorscope and RGB parade scopes.
* xy / uv Chromacity preview image displays the recorded and output gamut triangles and white points, incorporating adjustments.
* Tone curve charts as stop in / recorded level out, linear in / linear out and LUT in / LUT out.
* Provides 10-bit RGB readings from the Preview image.
A free to use online version is available at www.lutcalc.net for use in any recent browser. File saving options are limited and there is no capability for running offline and quickly from disk, but all the base capabilities are there for testing.
The source code is freely available through www.lutcalc.net and GitHub.
LUTCalc has been developed by a cameraman with over 25 year experience for his own work and LUTs produced have been used extensively on commercial projects. It continues to develop as new shoots reveal new needs.
Note - Panasonic Varicam .vlt is included as an output option, but should be considered beta as I have not yet been able to confirm that the range settings are correct (it does produce correctly formatted files). Nikon .ncp is also included as an output MLUT option but should be considered alpha, included to allow for experimentation.