Kiwix : offline Wikipedia reader
Kiwix is an offline wikipedia viewer. See the official site: http://www.kiwix.org/
You need to download an archive (ZIM file) from http://download.kiwix.org/zim/, store it in on your device, and manually select it after starting the extension.
You can search among the article titles, and read any of them without any Internet access.
All the content of wikipedia is inside your device (including the images).
It might also works with other content in the OpenZIM format: http://www.openzim.org/wiki/OpenZIM , but has been only tested on the wikipedia ones.
If your Internet access is expensive/rare/slow/unreliable/watched/censored, you still can browse this amazing amount of knowledge and culture.
* Support for StackExchange ZIM files (and maybe for some other ZIM files with a structure * different than the Mediawiki-based ZIM files).
* Compatibility with split English wikipedia ZIM files (which now have more than 26 files).
* Rename the project to Kiwix-JS instead of Kiwix-html5.
* Slightly improved memory handling of content decompression.
* Library updates (jQuery, Bootstrap, requireJS).
* Improved continuous integration (automated testing on several browsers).
* Avoid unnecessary 404 errors on images.
* Minor UI enhancements and fixes.
* Some code refactoring/cleaning on the way we handle the jQuery mode.
* Make geo: and tel: links work.
* Add more user info on which ZIM files are compatible
* Fix for back/forward buttons in browsing history
* Drop some legacy code (Evopedia file format compatibility, uncomplete Cordova/Phonegap port)
* Refactoring of the code to make it more easily readable for contributors
* Fix for unit tests on Chrome
* Enhancements on nightly builds and automatic generation of packages for public releases