The new and improved JSTorrent is a BitTorrent client for Chrome that downloads torrent files with ease. It can download torrents directly to your Downloads folder and can handle large files (multi-gigabyte files) with ease. It also runs fine on lower end ARM Chromebooks.
Update: Mar 9 - 2.2.6
- Minor bugfixes having to do with handling detached storage
Update: Mar 7 - 2.2.2
- Identified the cause of the Fatal Disk errors, workaround implemented
- New Streaming Media Player (click on "Play" in Files view)
- Improved download speeds
Update: Feb 22 - 2.1.3
- Improved messaging for unhealthy torrents
- Fixed some add by URL bugs
- Clicking on "Add" without a URL brings up file selection
- Extended trial version in certain markets (Brazil)
Update: Feb 3 - 2.1.2
- Fix several issues with trackers
- New option (default off) to report as uTorrent
- Information in Help page to give to private tracker admins
- See detailed tracker error information in "Trackers" tab
- Sortable columns (click on column header, note not all columns are sortable)
- Improvements to setting file priority (skip file download)
- Add "General Information" pane, to see detailed information about a Torrent
Update: Jan 18 - 2.1.1 - Minor bugfixes
Update: Jan 17, 2014 - Version 2.1 release. Changes:
- Ability to select which files to download
- Private tracker support
- New works for all public trackers
- Improved UX and notifications
- Added some options to the Options page
- Number of peers per torrent
- Prevent standby
Update: Dec 21,22,25,27 2013 - Pushing small bugfixes reported by users. Please, if you have any problems with the program, report the issues and I will address them!
Update: Dec 19, 2013
Version 2.0 is released with direct downloads to your disk. If you encounter any issues, please report them here and I will work my best to fix them as soon as possible.
UPDATE: Dec 17, 2013
I'm very pleased announce that the new and MUCH improved version is nearly complete. I am making final bug fixes and testing. Expect an update within a few days!
UPDATE: Dec 5, 2013
I'm currently working full time on getting "Select download directory" support working. You'll also be able to download to external (USB) drives! This should be a huge improvement. Thank you for your continued patience and support.
UPDATE: Oct 16, 2013
The app appears to be back. The developers have started writing a new and improved version because there seems to be good feedback. Chrome 31 will have extreme improvements to how the files can be saved (you will be able to select a download directory and save directly there) and the future version will support this.
UPDATE: Sept 23, 2013.
The app has been disabled because we have run into licensing issues with the source code. To support future development, please visit http://jstorrent.com or https://github.com/kzahel/jstorrent
Stream videos, download or share files using BitTorrent technology, all inside your browser. Uses chrome socket API and FileSystem API. Can download torrents on ChromeOS now! No uTorrent, no worry, JSTorrent is here!
UPDATE: Due to licensing issues with the source code I may have to remove this from the Chrome Web Store. I am adding a price ($1.99) for a bit to test the waters to see if it is worth re-writing the app from scratch, so that it can remain in the store.
Please report any issues/problems at https://github.com/kzahel/jstorrent/issues
New in 0.3.3 - a filesystem explorer
Also you can install this anywhere that you have Google Chrome installed.
Please note that you may currently encounter issues when downloading large torrent files (over 1 GB). The developers are working on fixes for this issue. Chromebook pixel is able to do larger files. (Update: you should have no problems with large files in the newest version)
- An extension which gives a right click context menu making it easy to add to JSTorrent (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/jstorrent-helper-extensio/bnceafpojmnimbnhamaeedgomdcgnbjk)
- A used disk space meter, which should help you figure out how much space you have left and when you need to clean up files.
- Handle dragging in torrent files.
- Handle opening .torrent files from ChromeOS file browser.