Harness the power of IPFS in your browser
IPFS Companion harnesses the power of your locally running IPFS node (either through the IPFS Desktop app or the command-line daemon) directly inside your favorite browser, enabling support for ipfs:// addresses, automatic IPFS gateway loading of websites and file paths, easy IPFS file import and sharing, and more.
IPFS is a peer-to-peer hypermedia protocol designed to make the web faster, safer, more resilient, and more open. It enables the creation and dissemination of completely distributed sites and applications that don’t rely on centralized hosting and stay true to the original vision of an open, flat web. Visit https://ipfs.tech to learn more.
- Automatically use IPFS to retrieve sites, files, and other resources already stored on IPFS (including redirecting DNSLink hostnames to IPNS names via your choice of gateway)
- Support content-addressed IPFS paths (/ipfs/) and URIs (ipfs://) in your browser, and redirect them to the gateway of your choice
- Share files from your browser by importing them to your local IPFS node via right-click or drag-and-drop, including the option to preload files at a public gateway
- See how many peers you’re connected to at a glance from your browser’s menu bar
- Check gateway info and API status with a single click
- Copy shareable links, snapshot links, IPNS/IPFS paths, and CIDs for IPFS-hosted sites
- Common IPFS tasks — like pinning files and launching your IPFS Web UI dashboard — are available right in your browser
- Options to toggle IPFS redirects globally or per website
- Choose between connecting to your local IPFS node via the HTTP API or running a js-ipfs node directly in your browser
Although you can run a js-ipfs node directly in your browser when using IPFS Companion, you’ll need to have a local IPFS node running on your computer to enjoy all IPFS Companion's features — either from your terminal or using the friendly, free IPFS Desktop app. Visit https://ipfs.io to learn more and install.
Learn about IPFS and how it’s changing the Internet at https://ipfs.tech