Experience the latest image of Earth from the Himawari 8 satellite every time you open a new tab.
This extension displays the latest image of our planet Earth as seen from the Himawari 8 Satellite every time you open a new tab. The satellite has been deployed by the Japan Meteorological Agency and takes photographs of Earth every 10 minutes. The extension also supports images from the GOES and DSCOVR satellites.
0.15.0 Add GOES 16 natural image thanks to @TheNeuralBit
0.14.0 Remove GOES 13 and 15 as NASA does not support them anymore.
0.13.1 Faster time ago update.
0.12.0 Improve animation initialization.
0.11.0 Add GOES 16 and animation.
0.9.0 Fix web extension compatibility. Immediately load new image when settings change.
0.8.0 Compatible with web extensions for Firefox
0.6.1, 0.7.0: Fix GOES caching
0.6.0: Add GOES 13 and GOES 15 images (see options). Fix issues with DSCOVR.
0.5.0: Fix issues with DSCOVR. Add enhanced images for DSCOVR.
0.4.3: Fix issue with latest date for himawari color image
0.4.2: Fix DSCOVR EPIC base url
0.4.0: Add DSCOVR images and link to explore online
0.3.2: Improve styling
0.3.1: Fix issue with options.html and options.js missing
0.3.0: Add option to choose infrared image
0.2.5: New proxy server
0.2.2: Better layout
0.2.1: Faster loading, offline support
* Loads the latest image, updates automatically.
* Automatically loads images at the optimal resolution (incl retina resolutions). If more than one image is needed, automatically downloads tiles.
* Uses Google's caching to take the load from the image servers
* Caches last version in local storage (compressed jpeg) and immediately displays it when you load the page. Then loads the latest image.
* Full offline support
* Images are drawn on a canvas so that we can cache and load it easily.
Switch between visible light and infrared images from Himawari 8 and images from the EPIC camera on the or DSCOVR satellite.
The Earth always stay centered, thanks to CSS magic.
* Time travel
* Actual logo/ icon