Experience the latest image of Earth from the Himawari 8 satellite every time you open a new tab.
This extension displays the latest image of our planet Earth as seen from the Himawari 8 Satellite every time you open a new tab. The satellite has been deployed by the Japan Meteorological Agency and takes photographs of Earth every 10 minutes.
0.6.1, 0.7.0: Fix GOES caching
0.6.0: Add GOES 13 and GOES 15 images (see options). Fix issues with DSCOVR.
0.5.0: Fix issues with DSCOVR. Add enhanced images for DSCOVR.
0.4.3: Fix issue with latest date for himawari color image
0.4.2: Fix DSCOVR EPIC base url
0.4.0: Add DSCOVR images and link to explore online
0.3.2: Improve styling
0.3.1: Fix issue with options.html and options.js missing
0.3.0: Add option to choose infrared image
0.2.5: New proxy server
0.2.2: Better layout
0.2.1: Faster loading, offline support
* Loads the latest image, updates automatically.
* Automatically loads images at the optimal resolution (incl retina resolutions). If more than one image is needed, automatically downloads tiles.
* Uses Google's caching to take the load from the image servers
* Caches last version in local storage (compressed jpeg) and immediately displays it when you load the page. Then loads the latest image.
* Full offline support
* Images are drawn on a canvas so that we can cache and load it easily.
Switch between visible light and infrared images from Himawari 8 and images from the EPIC camera on the or DSCOVR satellite.
The Earth always stay centered, thanks to CSS magic.
* Time travel
* Actual logo/ icon