Get a notification when the page you're on has been known to publish fake news.
Fake News Blocker uses a crowdsourced list of so called 'fake news' websites that publish falsified news with either monetary intent or the intent to spread misinformation. If you happen upon one of these sites with this plugin installed you'll get a notification alerting you that the current page has been known to publish fake news. When clicking on the icon in the Chrome Menu (top right) you'll get additional information about the website. Which blocklists are loaded can be configured through the options menu.
Fake News Blocker is extremely lightweight and only adds 85ms to page load times on average.
If you have any contributions to the blacklist feel free to shoot me an email at email@example.com or make a pull request on our GitHub with your changes. Click on the Website button below to get there.
- Added missing popup
- Adds a second type of blocklist and expands the syntax of the basic blocklist
- The reason why a site is marked as fake is now shown in a popup
- All blocklists are now enumerated as JSON
Major changes to the way blocklists are read and imported
- Internal links on a fake news site are no longer marked - For example: if you visit CreamBMP.com, no links on that site pointing to CreamBMP.com will be flagged as fake. You will still receive a notification.
- Websites are now divided into four groups, ranging from plain fake news to satire. Users may opt to disable or enable blocking of any of these categories.
- In the same vein of allowing more customizability, the user can now opt to use their own blacklist instead of the default one, or in addition to the master blocklist.
- Instead of receiving a warning users can now set an option to block the website outright, and display a full-page warning instead.
- Fake News Blocker no longer abuses the localStorage API for caching the blocklist. Every site used to have it's own instance of the blocklist, this is now centralized using the chrome.storage API.
- Users can specify individual sites they want blocked or be warned about in the settings.
- MatchURL function will now call when blocklist is loaded from cache
- Cache blocklist for a week to reduce overall bandwidth usage
- Mark anchor tags that hyperlink to a known fake news website