Preview links in a draggable, resizable overlay/popup, or split screen/view mode. Zoom images. Search highlighted text.
AS of Chrome Version 30.0.1599.69 m Google has disabled loading HTTP content into the preview when you are on a secure (HTTPS) page e.g. twitter, google, facebook, etc. (https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=238484) This prevents ezLinkPreview from working on those pages with any external links. Workaround now is to
1. Use the --allow-running-insecure-content flag which reduces security. To set command line flags: http://www.chromium.org/developers/how-tos/run-chromium-with-flags
2. Click the gray shield button on the right of the URL bar that appears after trying to preview a page, then click load unsafe script. Page will reload and you can now preview HTTP sites.
Browse more efficiently: Preview links and images without leaving your current tab. Mouseover any link and click the 'ez' icon (or press ALT and mouseover link) to show the linked page in a separate preview overlay or split screen. This is somewhat similar to the FireFox CoolPreviews plugin and Cleeki.
For support, bugs, enhancements please use this google group instead of the user reviews: http://groups.google.com/group/ezlinkpreview
ezLinkPreview finds all http links on a page.
- Hovering over a link, fades in a small 'ez' icon at the upper right corner.
- Click or hover over the 'ez' icon to open a preview overlay of the link within the current tab
- Interact with the new page and even launch another overlay from within the current overlay.
- Open the overlay contents in a new tab by clicking a button in the titlebar. Left click focuses on new tab, middle click leaves new tab in background.
- Pin/unpin the overlay by clicking a button in the titlebar.
- Close the overlay by clicking titlebar button, pressing Escape key, or clicking outside the overlay.
- Unpinned, moving mouse outside overlay closes it.
- Pinned, moving mouse over other links in the page loads them into the overlay.
- Resize overlay by dragging any corner or side.
- Resize split screen by dragging vertical split bar
- Move overlay by dragging the titlebar.
- Pinned overlay stays on screen when scrolling the page.
- Pinned state is saved and remembered accross pages and sessions.
- Image Preview allows Zoom in, out, normal from titlebar.
- Toggle search bar from titlebar button.
- Select text in main page to search in overlay. Search buttons appear next to cursor for first 9 engines.
- All 20 search buttons can be customized to launch any search that works within a frame.
- Large images shrink to fit in preview window.
- URLs in the preview frame are added to Google Web History if you are logged in to that service.
- Minimize/Restore the preview to quickly read text under the preview window.
- While preview is minimized, you can click/select/copy in original page without the preview closing.
- Browser bar icon to split the screen. Now you can leave popup as the default preview, but on any site click the button to split the screen into 2 resizeable vertical panels.
- Links of type .XLS ,.XLSX, .PPTX, .PAGES, .AI, .PSD, .DXF, .SVG, .EPS, .PS, .TTF, .XPS are now sent to google docs viewer for quick preview. View photoshop and illustrator files directly in the preview popup.
- Type ezs into omnibar (url address bar) followed by a space and then your search terms to automatically search within the preview panel (split screen or popup).
- Context menus for links to add them to Google+.
- Context menus for links to add them to Google Bookmarks. Added Google Bookmarks button to preview titlebar.
- Context menu to open link in new tab via textonly.in.
TIP: Pin the overlay and mouseover other links while the preview is open.
NOTE: some sites do not allow themselves to be run in frames/overlays and this will cause an actual navigation to the URL.
- See extension options page for the many available customizations.
Choose to open preview on mouseover link without showing ez icon.
Choose to locate ez icon near the mouse cursor instead of the upper right of the link.
Exclusion list to the options page. If the current URL includes any of the text items in the exclusion list, ezLinkPreview will be disabled for that page.
open in new tab list. URLs that contain items in this list will open a new tab instead of the preview window. Use this for sites that disable openning in IFRAMES.
Choose where the preview popup opens by default: top-right, top-left, bottom-right, bottom-left, or center.
Disable selected text search.
Require click on ez icon or allow hover and click.
Option for PDF files. Send to google docs viewer, or use chrome's default pdf handling.
Option for previewing in Split Screen or SplitView instead of a popup (this feature does not support image zoom).
Option to turn of the Ctr+Alt+S keyboard shortcut.
Press ctrl+alt+i to toggle whether the ez icon displays when hovering over a link. On pages with small links close together, hiding the icon prevents accidental launches of the preview.
Hide the ez icon by default.
Change the ez icon size.
Add a custom search URL and specify an icon url or base64 image code (convert any image to base64 at http://webcodertools.com/imagetobase64converter).
Specify a list of URLs that should automatically load in split view.
Hide orange titlebar from right panel in split screen view.
Hide context menus.
Determine ez icon distance from link (negative numbers can be entered).
Disable all keyboard shortcuts.
- Keyboard shortcuts:
Press Ctrl+Alt+1 (number one) on a page to toggle whether ez icon displays or preview opens on hover.
Add to Google+ via keyboard (ctrl+alt+\) or optional semi opaque button.
Add to GoogleBookmarks (not Chrome Bookmarks) via keyboard (ctrl+alt+[) or optional semi opaque button.
Press ctrl+alt+' to load main form or preview into textonly.in for easier reading.
Press ctrl+alt+s to launch the preview in search mode. Last used search engine is now remembered.
New in 5.8x
- Disable preview within preview fixed
New in 5.7x
- the ez icons are now svg vectors and look correct at any size.
New in 5.3x
- Now works in Gmail to preview links inside email content
- Email button in popup titlebar will email the current link being previewed
New in 5.2x
- Should work with Feedly app (only popup preview NOT split view)
New in 5.1x
- Updated extension format to match new Google standards, Chrome 18 is now minimum version
- Updated splitter in split screen view
New in 4.5x
- Option to preview specific sites directly in readable format via ViewText.org. This allows articles from frame-busting sites like nytimes.com to be previewed in the popup.
- Search buttons popup stays open while mouse cursor is over it.
- Middle-click a search button in the popup to open the search in a new tab instead of a popup.