Improve the ESPN NBA box score viewing experience
This extension adds custom CSS to the ESPN NBA box score to improve the viewing experience.
- When you land on the box score page you may need to refresh your browser. For best results open a new tab and hit: http://espn.com/nba/scoreboard.
- Fits everything on one page. Team box scores appear side-by-side rather than stacked.
If you wish to remove ads you will need to use an ad blocker.
v 1.1.0 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
July 8th 2023
- Adds Summer League to the extension popover.
v 1.0.0 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
October 8th 2022
- Fixes CSS on box scores so they are once again side-by-side.
v 0.3.39 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
December 3rd 2021
- Adds "Standings" button to extension popover for easier access.
v 0.3.38 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
August 7th 2021
- Updates for Vegas Summer League.
v 0.3.37 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
July 2nd 2021
- Fixes games incorrectly linking to summer league box scores.
v 0.3.36 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
April 18th 2021
- Styled updates to make background colour consistently white.
- Fixes play-by-play iframe on box score page.
- Updates link in extension popover so it uses ESPN's updated "/_/" style URL scheme.
v 0.3.35 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
April 16th 2021
- Updated to handle new URLs. This fixes a bug where clicking between box scores would cause the extension to stop working.
v 0.3.34 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
December 13th 2020
- 2020-21 season updates.
v 0.3.33 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
July 31st 2020
- Further summer league popup fixes
v 0.3.32 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
July 27th 2020
- Popup updates to handle NBA restart (don't look for Summer League schedule).
v 0.3.31 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
November 3rd 2019
- Fixed a long-standing bug where advanced stats (pace, ORTG, etc) wouldn't work when there was less than 1 minute to go in a period. This was due to time being formatted as 58.3 instead of 10:40.
v 0.3.30 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
October 28th 2019
- Fix issue with team records not appearing in browser extension popup.
v 0.3.29 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
June 6th 2019
- Handle ESPN's shift from http to https.
v 0.3.28 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
May 23rd 2019
- Add support for WNBA.
v 0.3.27 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
April 4th 2019
- Hide sponsored "content".
v 0.3.26 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
March 17th 2019
- Fixed a bug with play-by-play not updating after initial load.
v 0.3.25 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
February 16th 2019
- Fixed an all-star weekend bug with all star teams not having win/loss records.
v 0.3.24 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
November 11th 2018
- Added team foul count to play-by-play. Cumulative quarter-by-quarter numbers don't always line up with team totals in box scores yet.
- Added team records to extension popup prior to a match has beginning.
v 0.3.20 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
November 6th 2018
- Fixes to improve box score, play-by-play and gamecast appearance on ESPN fantasy pages.
- Added individual team possession counts.
v 0.3.19 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
October 16th 2018
- Added a close button to the red extension navigation so it can be hidden (will re-appear if you refresh the page).
v 0.3.18 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
- Fixed a bug with Summer League game URLs in the extension popup.
v 0.3.17 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
- Added Summer League support and a link to ESPN's Summer League scoreboard.
- Added Summer League games to extension popup.
v 0.3.15 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
- Added more consistent layouts between different pages (i.e. recap, gamecast, boxscore, etc).
- Switched "Tickets" link to "Gamecast" for games which are yet to start.
v 0.3.13 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
- Added message to extension popup for days with no games.
v 0.3.12 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
- Re-wrote extension popup in React (was previously jQuery) and added some loading and transition animations. Big woop.
- Highlight winning team in extension popup.
v 0.3.10 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
- Reduced width of "video highlights" and "latest" columns at the bottom of the page.
v 0.3.8 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
- Added individual player advanced stats during live games.
v 0.3.7 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
- Added daily leaders and season leaders to ESPN stat dropdown.
- Fixed a bug with the game strip sticking to the page. This was caused by an update on ESPN's end.
v 0.3.6 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
- Minor UI tidy-up.
- Adjusted display format of team TS%.
v 0.3.4 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
- Fixed a bug where play-by-play data wasn't being formatted if it was updated after being added. ESPN have only just started doing this. On the upside you no longer need to refresh the page in order for updates to be added (this was a limitation on ESPN's end).
- Improved formatting of shot charts.
- Hardset a cookie to turn off autoplay on the box score page. This may affect autoplay on other ESPN pages but autoplay is nasty and should be discouraged. Hit me up on twitter @lenymo if you have an objection to this.
v 0.3.3 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
- Removed localised times in extension popup due to a bug.
v 0.3.2 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
- Localised times in popup.
- Added more days to popup nav.
v 0.3.1 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
- Updated the extension popup with game scores and quick links to box score (accessible by clicking the red basketball extension icon).
- Updated Fan Duel scoring formula to be consistent with new official NBA fantasy scoring rules (these are accessibly by clicking the [ ] ADVANCED STATS checkbox once a game is over.
- Updated the background color behind some team logos because they looked whack (Boston, Atlanta and Phoenix).
- Released 19th October 2017.
v 0.2.4 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
- Added highlighting of on-court players to box score. This works based on the five players whose stats were most recently updated, so it usually takes a short while to kick in after a game starts or after a stoppage (time out, end of quarter). The most reliable stats to indicate who's on court are +/- and minutes because these increase even if a player doesn't add any stats but this does mean it can take a while to update if no one scores for a minute or two.
- Added handy links which appear when you hover the ESPN logo. I'll probably try and make this menu more obvious at some point.
- Updated styling of new team logos.
v 0.2.3 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
- Added team BLK%, STL%.
- Improved speed of play-by-play highlighting.
- Updated format of team shooting percentage (50.0% instead of .500). Easier to read.
- Added sport dropdown back alongside scoreboard.
v 0.2.1 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
- Added team pace, offensive rating, defensive rating and net rating for College Hoops. These numbers currently differ slightly from basketball reference's numbers.
v 0.2.0 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
- Added individual player advanced stats once a game is finished. Still ironing out bugs for this to work during a live game.
- Added highlighting to play-by-play.
- In the works:
- Advanced team stats for college hoops.
- Live individual player advanced stats.
v 0.1.8 –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
- Set all player links to open in a new tab.
- Fixed player links for Australian users (if any other countries are experiencing issues let me know).