Provides playback controls for the listening challenges on Duolingo.
- Appends a control button to each of the playback buttons in the listening challenges.
- Clicking on a control button opens the corresponding control panel.
- The available controls include:
- a rate (speed) slider,
- a volume slider,
- a seek bar,
- a play/pause button,
- a stop button,
- a "start pinning" button, to define the current position as the new starting position.
- Strives to blend seamlessly in Duolingo's UI, and to be compatible with custom themes such as Darklingo++.
When controls are available, and:
- no control panel is displayed, use:
- [ Ctrl ] / [ Control ] to open the first panel.
- a control panel is displayed, use:
- [ Ctrl ] / [ Control ] to switch focus back and forth between the panel and the answer input,
- [ Tab ] to cycle through the available panels,
- [ Esc ] to close the panel.
- a control panel is displayed and focused (a keyboard icon is visible in the lower-right corner), use:
- [ < ] / [ > ] to decrease / increase the playback rate (speed) (or [ Ctrl ] + [ ← ] / [ → ]),
- [ ↓ ] / [ ↑ ] to decrease / increase the playback volume,
- [ ← ] / [ → ] to move the position backward / forward,
- [ 0 ] .. [ 9 ] to set the position at 0 .. 90% of the duration,
- [ Home ] to set the position at the start,
- [ End ] to set the position at the end (think of it more or less as a stop button),
- [ Space ] / [ k ]to play / pause the sound (or [ Ctrl ] + [ ↑ ]),
- [ p ] to "pin" the current position (the sound will start from there from now on) (or [ Ctrl ] + [ ↓ ]).
Shortcuts behind parentheses are provided as alternatives for when the main ones are not available.
This can happen for example when a "keyboard-aware" word bank is available for the current challenge.
- The extension is deeply tied to the inner workings of Duolingo, meaning that significant changes on their side could (temporarily) break it. If that happens, you can either:
- wait for me to fix it (you can open an issue on the support page if there is none about it yet),
- if you're a developer, try to fix it yourself, then open a related PR on the development page.
- Due to hard limitations with the underlying technology (sounds are not accessible via Ajax requests, preventing us from using the Web Audio API), the volume can not be raised over 100%.
Visit the development page of the extension (https://github.com/blmage/duolingo-tts-controls) for more informations, screenshots, or if you have any support request!