Use lingots to award progress in Duolingo with temporary access to otherwise blocked sites.
This is a little experimental chrome extension with the following goals:
1. Provide an incentive for my daughter to use Duo more (and more enthusiastically).
2. Limit her time spent watching cartoons on YouTube.
Originally I thought I'd scrape the daily progress stats or similar but then I realized that it might be fun to use lingots. After all, I'm on a six-month streak in several languages so I have a ton of them, and she has a few, so I reasoned that they might be a useful medium of exchange for this purpose. Here's a rough specification:
* The student (my daughter in this case) completes lessons on Duo, earning lingots
* She goes to the store, and uses one lingot to purchase a certain amount of time on YouTube (or another configurable site).
a. The extension will insert an extra shelf and item into the store (done).
b. The extension will transfer a single lingot via the "give lingot" function in discussions to a configurable teacher or parent (done).
c. The extension will turn on a configurable timer which will allow access to a configurable list of blocked sites (done).
* If she runs out of lingots she has to do more lessons. Yay!!!
* If I want I can give the lingots back, again using a comment. Of course I'll need a thread for that. I can give them back for anything really, including real-world stuff, or progress on other learning sites like Khan academy.
I hope you find this useful, and I welcome your feedback!
* 0.9.2 - Always allow google login URLs
* 0.9.1 - Make the minutes option show up in the store text
* 0.9.0 - Added options for additional reward sites, and whitelisting