Simple and seamless privacy protection for your browser.
Tired of being tracked online? We can help.
At DuckDuckGo, we believe online privacy should be simple. That's why our extension has one single purpose — protecting your privacy in Chrome. Together, these privacy essentials seamlessly help prevent your personal information from being exposed during everyday online activity.
• Search with DuckDuckGo by Default — install, and we'll set your default search engine and homepage to DuckDuckGo Search so you can start your Internet searches without being tracked.
• Block Tracking Cookies — prevent most 3rd-party cookies from tracking you as you browse from site to site.
• Escape Online Tracking — block most hidden tracking scripts lurking on the websites you visit (e.g., when you click on search results). Stop companies behind those trackers before they use sneaky tactics to try to collect and sell your data. See notes and links below for more information.
• Enforce Encryption — force many sites to use an encrypted connection when possible. Unwanted network snoopers, like Internet Service Providers, won't be able to trace which specific pages you go to or what you do once you get there.
• Signal Your Privacy Preference with GPC — built into the extension, Global Privacy Control (GPC) intends to help you express your legal opt-out rights automatically. This will tell websites not to sell or share your personal information under future legal frameworks (e.g., CCPA, GDPR) in various states or countries.
That's how DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials delivers on our single-purpose promise to provide seamless privacy protection in Chrome. It’s privacy, simplified.
Note about our tracker blocking for 3rd-party sites and emails:
DuckDuckGo never tracks you. When you leave our search engine to use other sites, we aim to block as many hidden trackers as possible, but we can't block them all for a few reasons. New trackers emerge all the time, so first we need to find them. Then, blocking these trackers can sometimes break functionality, so we need to develop new approaches without hurting usability. Additionally, in our extension we offer a specific type of protection that stops scripts from even loading on 3rd-party sites, which isn’t offered on most popular browsers by default. Currently, this one loading protection doesn't apply to Microsoft scripts on 3rd-party sites due to contractual restrictions. However, our other tracker blocking methods are unrestricted.
To be the most privacy-protected you can be in Chrome, we also suggest tweaking your Chrome settings that are not controllable by extensions, like making sure you’re not syncing your browsing history to Google.
More About Our Technology
• Tracker Radar: https://spreadprivacy.com/duckduckgo-tracker-radar/
• Smarter Encryption: https://spreadprivacy.com/duckduckgo-smarter-encryption/
• Block FloC: https://spreadprivacy.com/block-floc-with-duckduckgo/
• GPC: https://spreadprivacy.com/announcing-global-privacy-control/
More About DuckDuckGo
• About Us: https://duckduckgo.com/about/
• Privacy Newsletter: https://duckduckgo.com/newsletter
• GitHub: https://github.com/duckduckgo/duckduckgo-privacy-extension
If you just want to use DuckDuckGo Search as your default search engine in Google Chrome, you do not need this extension and can follow these install instructions instead: https://duckduckgo.com/install.