Reduce tab clutter - prevent duplicate tabs, quickly search & switch tabs, and more...
** Automatically detect and prevent duplicate tabs
Preventing and closing duplicates tabs is the core mission. The extension runs in the background, checking when tabs are opened or links are clicked to see whether the target webpage is already open. If open, the extension switches focus to the existing tab, instead of opening a duplicate.
NEW: Quick Tab Search - search, switch to and close tabs. (Similar to ‘Go to tab’)
NEW: List all duplicate tabs, close them directly from list. (For supporters only initially)
COMING SOON: ‘Disappear!’
Tune the core functionality using options - whitelist websites or domains to allow duplicates, or (in beta) use a blacklist to only block duplicates on certain websites.
1. Quick Tab Search (Ctrl/Command + Shift + L)
- Search and switch to tabs across Chrome windows
- Close, duplicate, whitelist, or move tab to new window
- Keyboard shortcuts for all common actions - search, select, switch, close tabs (more coming soon)
2. Direct Switch - ClutterFree highlights links on webpages that are already open in another tab. Clicking a highlighted link switches directly the tab where the link is already open.
3. Open tab count - See number of open tabs on extension button
4. List duplicate tabs (e.g. in switched-off mode, or after installing)
- Close all duplicates with a direct click
- Selectively close duplicates
- Original tabs marked with a special icon
5. Keyboard shortcuts and right-click menu options for quick actions:
- Open extension window,
- Duplicate current tab,
- Move a tab to the end,
- Whitelist pages, and more
6. Detects duplicates suspended by 'The Great Suspender' extension
7. Search tabs from address bar - type `cf` and space to search, and switch to open tabs
8. Detect all pre-existing duplicates, and prompt to close them
9. No analytics or tracking, including Google Analytics
10. Export and import settings to file - to set up different Chrome profiles to same settings
11. Periodic statistics on duplicates prevented, and top domains for duplicates
>> "Read and change all your data on the websites you visit"
This phrase above is how Chrome describes when an extension uses the 'tabs' and "all_sites" permissions.
The extension needs these permissions to manage tabs - checking for, preventing, and closing duplicates.
You may read more about 'tabs' permissions here: https://developer.chrome.com/extensions/tabs
(Full update notes: https://updatenotes.blog/category/clutterfree/ )
UPDATE 03 Jul 2019:
Building on update from 10 May (below): When a link redirects to a previously open tab, the duplicate tab returns to previous tab before closing. This allows Chrome's 'Reopen closed tab' shortcut action to work as usual. Thanks to Joakim Nilsson for the suggestion.
In a future update, this will become default behaviour: On clicking a link that is already open, the source tab will close. It will go back to the previous page before closing if the duplicate URL is after automatic redirection. Currently this behaviour is in advanced settings.
UPDATE 12 Jun 2019:
Updates for compatibility with latest version of 'The Great Suspender' extension
+ some bug fixes
UPDATE 10 May 2019:
1. New: Option to close source tab when clicking a duplicate link (available under advanced settings)
2. Updates to supporter tiers
3. Bug fixes
UPDATE 4 Mar 2019: Settings export/import & more
1. Export/import settings to/from a file to set up a different Chrome profile
2. Bug Fix: Added Momentum's new tab page to whitelist
3. Bug Fix: Check target tab URL before switching (to prevent direct switch to obsolete tabs)
UPDATE 29 Jan 2019: Bug fixes & minor updates
1. Bug Fix: Redirect loops caused when opening same document again from drive.google.com
2. Renamed extension on/off state as ‘active’ and ‘passive’ states
3. Tab search popup opens in the same size and location where last closed
4. Option to open tab search in attached state (some features don't work in attached state)
UPDATE 22 Dec 2018: Dark theme (Supporters only)
1. Dark theme option for tab search and duplicates windows
2. Darker direct switch link indicators on light coloured webpages, vice versa
UPDATE 15 Dec 2018: Quick tab search (updated!)
1. Lighter, faster tab search with direct access to tab actions - switch, close, duplicate, whitelist, or move to a new window. Pinning and suspending (Great Suspender) coming soon.
2. Red dot to indicate all duplicates - including those created using the Clutter Free menu or keyboard shortcut (alt + shift + d)
3. Updates to notifications, including option to disable the 'Duplicate tabs found' notification
UPDATE 10 Dec 2018: Duplicate tabs - indicator & lists
1. A red dot on extension button to indicate that duplicate tabs are open
2. See list of open duplicate tabs, and close all or selectively (For supporters only till mid-Jan 2019)
UPDATE 5 Dec 2018: Supporter subscriptions & context menu update
1. Gift a small subscription to support continued development of Clutter Free
2. Shorter menu item name when multiple context menus are added - now it just says 'Clutter Free'
UPDATE 22 Nov 2018: Notifications upgraded
1. New in-page notification style - they only show inside Chrome, not on the desktop.
2. Finer control over notifications - decide between ClutterFree styled, or default Chrome notifications, or switch them off entirely
3. Reopen closed duplicates from notification
4. BUG FIX: Tabs occasionally moved to the wrong location when duplicate opened in background
UPDATE 7 Nov 2018:
1. Moved all settings to synced storage so they update across machines
2. Remove AutoConvert Select link in extension window if already installed
UPDATE 6 Nov 2018:
1. BUG FIX: Check for `command` key on Mac for links being opened in a background tab
2. Added links to my AutoConvert Select extension
3. Removed link to my AcceleReader for Pocket extension