A startpage replacement that allows quick access to your apps and bookmarks.
If you are interested in information surrounding this extension, check out my blog where I write about upcoming changes, thoughts and feedback that I recieved: http://blog.gvm-it.eu/
Your feedback matters! Please leave a rating and some feedback below!
WHAT THIS EXTENSION DOES
The purpose of this extension is to make the newtab page more useful for those of us who use a lot of bookmarks and dislike the way Chrome™ serves them. It overrides the new tab page and displays a grid of your apps and bookmarks.
It replaces your New Tab page with one that has BIG BUTTONS. It shows your installed apps and the bookmarks as you have organized them. You can also navigate through folders if you have your bookmarks organized in that fashion.
It also gives you quick access to Chrome™'s own History, Downloads and Bookmark manager instead of having to navigate through the wrench menu each time.
CUSTOMIZING YOUR STARTPAGE
Use the Bookmark Manager to organize your bookmarks in a way that you like them to appear on the startpage. If you need to, you can also do some editing of your bookmarks, but you will need the Bookmark Manager for more editing power.
Click on the Options link in order to customize the look and feel of the new tab page so it fits your needs. There is a set of predefined themes, but you can choose to manually adjust almost everything.
The top bar of the startpage shows you a list of the extensions that you installed plus any bookmarks that you put in your 'Bookmarks Bar' folder. So just place any bookmarks there that you want to appear in that bar.
The bottom container is a rudimentary bookmark browser that starts off in the 'Other Bookmarks' folder. You can even browse subfolders from within it. Arrange and organize your bookmarks any way you want them to appear.
If you use bookmark synching between i.e. your notebook and your home computer, the new page tab will look exactly the same on both devices (except for the installed apps).
As a sidenote, you can also open Chrome™'s bookmark-, download-, history- and extension manager from the startpage. This is more comfortable than having to click the wrench icon each and every time.
Don't like the extension? Thats fine, you can uninstall it by clicking either directly on the 'Extensions' link on the top of the page or by opening the extension page through WRENCH -> Tools -> Extensions.
No icons for your bookmarks are shown? The favicons are being fetched from your history. If you open a site that has no icon, it will be displayed as of that moment.
Any other issue: Please let me know! I have tested things thoroughly but it is very much possible that I overlooked something. If you let me know, I'll fix it.
The extension does not collect or transmit any private information. It just displays your apps and bookmarks in the way that you arranged them. Simply disable or uninstall this extension if you want to get rid of it.
This extension can access:
- Your bookmarks: Obviously, this extension needs to access your bookmarks in order to show them. It does not manipulate them however.
- Manage themes, extensions, and apps: In order to display your installed apps, this extension needs access to them. Since there is no other interface in Chrome™, it has to be able to uninstall an app for you if you choose to.
- chrome://favicon/: To get the shiny icons for your bookmarks, this extension needs access to the favicons stored internally.
- Your browsing history: When asking for the bookmarks permission above, this warning also pops up. However, this extension does not access any history data.
KNOWN ISSUES AND LIMITATIONS
- The bookmarks are sorted like you sort them in the bookmark manager. Spaces cannot be inserted and the icons cannot be aligned differently.
- The layout is made for a screen resolution of at least 1024px and does not adapt very well. It should however work okay for large screens.
- When you have a lot of bookmarks, the design will look bad. For now, aim for a maximum of 64 items per bookmark folder. I will implement a solution for that some time in the future.
- The extension is currently written in English only. I am working on localization support.
Feel free to contact me for personal feedback, bug reports or feature requests: