Remove all traces of comments/shares/+1s/likes from certain sites.
Issue tracker: http://github.com/silverhammermba/silence/issues
The "Web 2.0" movement is all about user-generated content. That's great. Unfortunately when it comes to user-generated comments, the result is usually asinine, ignorant, racist, cynical, depressing, spam, or generally infuriating. If you're like me and you can't look away, this extension can be a blessing.
* No more comments
* No more likes
* No more share counts
* No more +1s
* No more popularity metrics in general
Why Use This Extension?
There are other comment blocking extensions out there. What makes this extension different?
* Having a "show comments" button is like bringing a beer to an AA meeting: why have it there if you don't want to use it? The only way to show comments with this extension is to go to your settings and disable it entirely.
* Likes, +1s, and other popularity measures can also be distracting. Who cares if millions of people hate a Youtube video that you like? This extension attempts to remove all such distractions.
* Where possible, I have tried to avoid blocking your option to comment, share, like, etc.
* This extension is open source. That means you can help to improve it and I can't be an asshole and sneak in spyware.
As far as I know, there is no silver bullet for comment removal. This script uses a bunch of site-specific CSS rules to hide unwanted content. If a site you visit is unaffected by this extension, you can let me know and I'll see what I can do. Contributions are also welcome.
Some sites (such as Facebook) do not provide a way to easily single out content for removal, so not all content can be blocked.