Shows bitcoin price provided by CoinDesk Bitcoin Price Index in a browser toolbar.
Get the most accurate BTC price using an average from the world's top cryptocurrency exchanges.
Show small bitcoin button in browser toolbar with price update each minute from CoinDesk Bitcoin price index (BPI). Nice BitCoin ticker using Coindesk BPI API.
What is the CoinDesk Bitcoin Price Index?
Launched in September 2013, the CoinDesk Bitcoin Price Index (XBP) represents an average of bitcoin prices across leading global exchanges that meet criteria specified by the XBP. It is intended to serve as a standard retail price reference for industry participants and accounting professionals.
Going forward, the Bitcoin Price Index displayed on our site will use an updated API (not currently public). If you still wish to obtain XBP data for use in your service or product, you are free to use our public API. Please note that this is a deprecated version and will be available until further notice in 2019. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any queries.
The criteria for inclusion in the XBP are:
- USD exchanges must serve an international customer base.
- Exchange must provide a bid-offer spread for an immediate sale (offer) and an immediate purchase (bid).
- Minimum trade size must be less than 1,500 USD (9,000 CNY) or equivalent.
- Daily trading volume must meet minimum acceptable levels as determined by CoinDesk.
- Exchange must represent at least 5% of the total 30-day cumulative volume for all of the exchanges included in the XBP.
- The stated and/or actual time for a majority of fiat currency and bitcoin transfers (whether deposits or withdrawals) must not exceed two business days.
Currently, these bitcoin exchanges meet the criteria and are therefore included in the US dollar XBP calculation:
The following exchanges are included in the Chinese yuan XBP calculation:
How exactly is the XBP calculated?
The main features and criteria are as follows:
- The CoinDesk XBP is a simple average of leading XBT/USD and XBT/CNY exchange prices.
- The XBP is expressed as the midpoint of bid/ask spread.
- The XBP is updated every 60 seconds.
- If an exchange does not update its price for more than 30 minutes, it is omitted from the live XBP calculation until it is updated again.
- New index historical data commences on 1 July 2013.
- Prior index historical data is obtained via Mt. Gox.
- End-of-day high, low, and closing XBP is based on Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). As trades occur continuously, a day opens at 00:00:00 and closes at the end of 23:59:59, ie 00:00:00 of the next day.
- Non-USD and non-CNY XBP prices are implied based on rates obtained via openexchangerates.org.
- Any updates to the XBP criteria and formula shall occur as necessary.
Why is the XBP not volume-weighted?
The decision to apply a simple average, as opposed to a volume-weighted average, for the CoinDesk XBP was made because the bitcoin market currently lacks sufficient depth and regional liquidity.
Since trading volume now favors particular regions, a volume-weighted approach would not act as a proper global indicator, because each international bitcoin exchange is not equally available to all national trading participants.
A simple average does not favor a regional exchange with high volume and ensures that the XBP is meaningful for the largest number of market participants. Also, a simple average approach minimizes the impact of volume irregularities and accidentally excluding an exchange.
As overall liquidity improves and the number of global exchange choices increases, the impact of regional variances should diminish and a volume-weighted approach may become more appropriate.
1.0.23 - Support for 10,000+ prices
1.0.22 - Added Chinese translation
1.0.21 - Added Turkish translation
1.0.20 - Minor internal changes
1.0.19 - Proper number formatting for tooltip with btc price in usd, eur and for 24 hours ago
1.0.18 .- Added context menu items on item - 1 click access to trading on Binance and instant exchange on Changelly
1.0.17 - Changed back a link to coindesk bitcoin price because it is not working now on naga-guard
1.0.16 - Localized to Spanish and Russian
Showing also EUR price and USD price for yesterday
Change target link to https://naga-guard.com to get more precise price analytics
Migrated back to http (Coindesk failed to update the certificate in time)
Change BPI index url (Coindesk, thanks again)
1.0.11 - Migrated to https
1.0.9, 1.0.10 - Migrated to Coindesk API
1.0.8 - Show low/high
1.0.7 - Migrated to hitbtc exchange after MtGox shutdown
1.0.6 - Supports 1000+ price
Prevention of aggressive caching on MtGox
Button click leads to Clarkmoody charts