Multiplayer Battles in your New Tab
**Update**: BattleTabs V2 is here! New ships, new monsters, and brand new special attacks!! (development update video: https://youtu.be/JNCD3PhP08w)
Play with Friends! Battles with viking ships in your browser new tab with your friends and other players. Queue up multiple matches and play a few seconds at a time in-between studying / working!
- if you want to keep your default new tab page, you can also turn off the new tab mode in the settings and play using the browser button.
- Super Bite-sized Gameplay, Perfect for the Few Seconds You Have to Take a Break in-between Tasks
- Play with Your Friends!
- Intense Multiplayer Action with Unique Ships and Monsters
- Turn-based Classic Gameplay with Exciting Special Attacks
- Two game modes. Play Intense mode in real-time, or take longer turns in Casual mode.
- Queue Up Multiple Matches
How to Play BattleTabs: http://bit.ly/play-battletabs
🛶Questions? Feedback? Latest News? Find us on:
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/BattleTabs
- Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BattleTabsGame/
- To support the development on the game, we may show advertisements in the product. We will make sure they don't detract from the experience of the game!
- WebGL required (we will support non-WebGL devices soon!)
⛵️Updates: (more on battletabs.com/update-log)
**New in 2.12 (11/01/2020)**
- Settings are now persisted on the server
- Lots of low level changes in preparation for some exciting upcoming features
**New in 2.11 (29/12/2020)**
- Fixed a number of issues that could happen if you had low FPS but fast fingers and clicked buttons multiple times
- Fixed an issue that would cause many battles to be proposed from the same person when the server restarts
- Fixed an issue with casual battles where the time would briefly show a very large number
- Combo attack on the longboat can no longer be used on cells that have already been hit
- If you timeout while using the longboat's combo attack it should no longer break the battle
- The turtle's ability is no longer be targetable on "hit" cells
**New in 2.10 (17/12/2020)**
- HO HO HO!!
- Fixed an issue in "Accept Rematch" which was causing problems if the opponent cancelled the invite
- Fixed an issue in ResizeObserver throwing errors
**New in 2.9 (11/12/2020)**
- New Authentication! You can now signup and login using credentials or with Google or Discord. This opens up a whole bunch of cool integration stuff going forwards and allows us to move away from being just a Chrome Extension. This should also allow others that play BattleTabs on Firefox or Edge to save their account
**New in 2.8 (02/12/2020)**
- Rematch button on the game over modal now sends a rematch straight away and allows you accept an incoming rematch in an effort to prevent duplicate rematches.
- Theres a new indicator that appears above each avatar in the battle to let you know who's turn it is.
- Browser icon badge number now also shows the number of battle invites you have
- The list of battles that are your turn now show above waiting battles on the sidebar
- Timer no longer shows when the battle is over
- Fixed a bug that was related to a missing old asset
- It now only requires 2 wins instead of 3 to unlock the Rogue fleet
- The "Emote Wheel" now has twice as many emojis on it
- The critical error modal has been improved
- Fixed an issue that meant some people on smaller screens could not place ships correctly because they could not click through the text on the right hand side of the screen.
- Falling tiles animation has been made to be frame-independent, should make things a bit nicer for those on slower devices
- Sidebar and turn indicator on the HUD are both now equivalent
**New in 2.7 (19/11/2020)**
- New modal for showing your user profile, this lets you change your name and avatar too
- New ad for breakshot pool game
- Fixed an error that was causing a crash when changing battles
**New in 2.6 (13/11/2020)**
- More critical errors should now be caught and gracefully handled
- Fixed a bug where the game would error if your turn timed out while in combo mode
**New in 2.5 (12/11/2020)**
- Fixed an issue with the new countdown
- Casual battle invites no longer only have 45 seconds for setup and instead have the correct 1 day
- Predicted queue time should now correctly refresh
**New in 2.4 (12/11/2020)**
- Added a new "Update Available" button
- New countdown GUI around the player's avatar
- Tweaked the connection disconnect alert
- Bigger avatars!
**New in 2.3 (07/11/2020)**
- New Game Over view, with Add Friend and Rematch buttons
- Discord button!
- Added support for canvas when hardware acceleration is not supported
- Added some performance improvements
**New in 2.0 (26/10/2020)**
- New abilities and special attacks!
- New ships, new monsters!
**New in 1.52 (04/10/2020)**
- Added a "Forced Update" feature
**New in 1.51 (29/08/2020)**
- Added an announcements feature
**New in 1.50 (14/08/2020)**
- Replaced the Roki ad with a donate button
**New in 1.49 (08/07/2020)**
- Improved rendering performance
- Improved ship placement method
**New in 1.48 (18/06/2020)**
- Tweaked the search page to make it cleaner
- Improved rendering performance
**New in 1.47 (14/06/2020)**
- The bottom battles list now only shows the latest 5 finished battles
- The bottom battles list now correctly scrolls if there is not enough space on the screen to fit it on.
- Fixed an issue where the user might occasionally see a blank screen on load
- No longer show a rank if you haven't scored yet today
- No longer shows scores below yours unless you are in the top 20
**New in 1.46 (11/06/2020)**
- Added an avatar and login button in the top left corner of the UI
**New in 1.45 (08/06/2020)**
- Battle Invites icon now lets you know what kind of battle it is (Intense or Casual). Thanks to u/aky1milk for this suggestion on our subreddit r/BattleTabsGame!
**New in 1.44 (07/06/2020)**
- New High Scores Feature!
**New in 1.43 (27/05/2020)**
- Added a new modal to let players know how casual matches work
- Fixed an issue that was causing some miss numbers not to show correctly
- Fixed an issue that was causing poor server performance
**New in 1.42 (25/05/2020)**
- Reworked "waiting proposals" so they should work much better now.
- Fixed an issue where sometimes the new tab would open to a blank page
- Improved the perceived loading speed of the new tab
- The bottom UI should now no longer cover the game view
**New in 1.41 (21/05/2020)**
- New no-code game development course offer
- Fixed an issue that would cause the game to crash if you tried to connect to a google account when you don't have one.
- Fixed an issue where hitting Randomize on the ship placement screen would cause a crash.
**New in 1.40 (12/05/2020)**
- There are now different kinds of maps, which rotate daily!
- Tweaked text color on avatar tooltips.
- Added some native notification options.
- Notifications have now been reworked, so clicking one should take you to the page you expect.
- There is a now a notification letting you know when the game has been updated.
- Theres a new notification letting you know when the daily map changes.
- Still don't know how to turn off BattleTabs replacing your new tab? We have moved the information modal to be the first thing you see in the game.
**New in 1.39 (07/05/2020)**
- Fixed an issue that was causing the game not to show the search page when a new tab is opened
- Improved the "first load" performance of the game
- Reduced the build size
- Dont show new tab should now work again as expected
- Added some fade in-animations when switching between some views
- Search box should once again show when opening a new tab (without clicking the icon)
- Fixed the "Start a New Battle" tooltip
- Improved the newtab option popup
- Larger emote icons on osx
- Improved the initial tutorial modals for users with small screens
- Improved initial battle cell dropping animation for those on slower machines
- Text is no longer selected in the battle view
**New in 1.38 (2/05/2020 - now this date is when the update is released on the store, not when it's released internally)**
- Replaced underlying state management system, should improve performance and fix some other issues.
- Now remembers if you have seen the battle over modal or not
- Proposal View now works correctly
- Numerous other bug fixes
- Fixed long names being cutoff on the avatar
- Improved the popup when you hover over the avatar
- English profane words are no longer allowed in usernames
- All new underlying state management system
- New critical error modal that causes the game to restart so it cant get into odd states
**New in 1.37 (07/04/2020)**
- New and improved practice game while waiting for intense battles
- New main game view engine
- New Battle tooltip no longer shows over modals
- Added tooltip back to ship placing view
**New in 1.36 (02/04/2020)**
- Added a recommended games section (thanks for the support! 😉)
- Added a helpful tutorial tooltip to let players know how to start a new battle
- Much improved ship placement engine
**New in 1.35 (27/03/2020)**
- Tweaked social inviting text
- Improved the invite friend on-boarding process
- Tweaked the invite friend to battle modal to allow you to quickly go to friends and invites too
**New in 1.34 (25/03/2020)**
- Can once again cancel battle invites sent to friends
- Tweaked the top right menu
**New in 1.33 (24/03/2020)**
- The bottom right corner of the board should now be clickable for those with small screens.
- Some performance improvements when taking turns
- Once again opens the battle over screen after a battle has finished
- Fixed an issue in the accepting "waiting proposals" system
**New in 1.32 (23/03/2020)**
- Hopefully fixed "User must be Authenticated" issues.
**New in 1.31 (21/03/2020)**
- Fixed an issue that meant signup by URL wasnt working as expected
- Fixed an issue where a proposal would occasionally be created twice
- Hopefully removed some of the lag when taking turns
**New in 1.30 (28/02/2020)**
- Settings renamed to "Options" to bring it inline with Chrome's naming scheme
- Tweaked the new-tab modal adding a toggle slider to make it more obvious that new tab is preferred but optional.
- All new tutorial videos.
- Floating text now comes up after a hit or a miss
- Now a pause after winning or loosing a match before showing the modal.
- Added the tip message back in to the placing ships view
- New options page
- Build size reduced
- Faster load times
- The first match is now against a local AI player instead of a real player.
- Can now play a single-player practice game while you wait in an intense battle queue
- Battle proposals from other users now show up in the bottom bar.
- You can now send emotes to your opponent
- You can now invite users by URL from the friend invite screen
**New in 1.29 (27/02/2020)**
- If you are on the search page and an intense match invite is accepted, you are now immediately taken to that match
**New in 1.28 (20/02/2020)***
- Added the ability to make friends with other players in the game
- Added the ability to invite friends to battle
- Fixed an issue where the distance number on the tile could sometimes be one off
- Fixed an issue where a match might not get selected after matchmaking
- Notification now appear both inside and and outside the game
- Clicking modals no longer clicks things on the game board
- Added an Alert to let you know if the server connection is down
**New in 1.27 (7/02/2020)**
- Added "minesweeper" like distance numbers to the board that tell you how far away a ship is should you miss.
- Added text to new match button
- Changed UI framework so some buttons, icons and things might look different
- Added an alert requesting survey filling out
**New in 1.26 (30/01/2020)**
- Updated how Intense match queueing works with a new screen and new mechanism so that when a game starts, you are less likely to find an idle player. (Closing the tab while queueing will cancel the intense match queue. )
**New in 1.25 (15/01/2020)**
- Changed email subject when contacting us for support
- Avatars now show their Google picture if they have signed in
**New in 1.24 (14/01/2020)***
- Sockets are now responding to updates from the server, removing the need for polling. This should dramatically increase match speed and allow future realtime features.
**New in 1.23 (11/01/2020)**
- New socket based API in preparation for upcoming realtime features.
- Fixed match info screen closing when you roll out of the menu
**New in 1.22 (09/01/2020)**
- When creating a match you can now choose from two different play styles. "Intense" - 30 seconds turn time or "Casual" - the usual 24 hours turn time.
- Clicking the browser bar icon now jumps you straight into the most relevant match rather than showing the google search screen
- Clicking a notification now correctly opens you up into the match even if you have new tab mode turned off
**New in 1.21 (06/01/2020)**
- Login with Google to save progress across devices and more!
- New, more prominent tip to inform players who don't want to have their new tab page replaced.
- Spelling mistakes corrected
**New in 1.20 (03/01/2020)**
- The icon in the browser now shows a small badge with the number of matches where its your turn.
- Added the ability to no longer show the custom new tab page, this setting can be accessed in the options. You can choose to set it to the default chrome new tab page or any URL you want.
- Improved UI scaling for avatars, should now correctly fit thin screens.
**New in 1.19 (02/01/2020)**
- Fixed an issue that was causing performance issues on the dashboard screen
- Stopped clouds from jumping around when taking turns
**New in 1.18 (21/12/2019)**
- Some minor UI tweaks
- New prompt for feedback
- Better handling of uninstalls
**New in 1.17 (18/12/2019)**
- New sky background
- Tweaked the layout of avatars and board scaling
- Polished various screens and popups to improve appearance
- Added new images to match over popups
**New in 1.16 (17/12/2019)**
- Large parts of the server and polling code re-written to improve performance and fix server-side errors.
- Tweaked some copy
- Better notifications; uses the avatar image of your opponent, only sends notification if there isn't a new tab open (prevents notification spam when in a live battle)
**New in 1.15 (13/12/2019)**
- Better on-boarding flow for new users, now includes gifs
- Beta ribbon now links to reddit
- Updates now moved into the options page, click the browser button now opens a new tab
- References to trello removed from the extension, Reddit is now the place to go.
- Game Over Modal has been improved to include a start a new match button
- Search box size increased on the omnibox view
- Added a question mark button to the dash to help new players
- Cleaned the dashboard up a little so that many of the options are now under a menu
**New in 1.14 (12/12/2019)**
- A new blank tab is opened when the extension is first installed
- Various minor ui improvements
- Links to twitter and reddit added to the main dashboard
- Support links changed to point to reddit instead of twitter
**New in 1.13 (11/12/2019)**
- Added a new default screen to show a search field and your most used sites. This way you don't always have to see the game with each new tab, but have access to your matches at the bottom. You might have to grant additional permissions for this to work as we are showing you your most used sites. .
- Some other minor visual improvements
**New in 1.11 (06/12/2019)**
- Added a Welcome popup immediately after creating the first battle, introducing new players to the game and explaining some basics.
(previous update descriptions now on battletabs.com/update-log)