Create custom keyboard shortcuts to expand and replace text as you type!
Ever get tired of typing out long email addresses, phrases you frequently use, or just looking to save keystrokes as you type? Well fear not! Auto Text Expander is here to solve that -- kinda like TextExpander for Mac or AutoText for Windows, but installed and synced across Chrome browsers!
** FEATURES **
- Keystroke checking is entirely local and nothing is sent to any servers for tracking.
- Customizable list of shortcuts to expand, which are synced across Chrome browsers you sign into.
- Omnibox (url address bar) supported for quick jumping to websites with code ATE
- Support for regular text fields, and multiline expanded text / html can be injected into content-editable divs.
- Limited support for advanced web apps -- see below for the list -- subject to breaking if they change their sites. Please email me or provide a feature request for more!
- Ability to locally backup your shortcuts and restore them from backup (per signed-in browser), and you can import shortcuts in JSON yourself.
- Macros for today's date with customizable format using Moment.js (date/time will be based on your browser/computer's clock).
- Macro for inserting clipboard paste content into a shortcut.
- Special tag for cursor location after expansion into contenteditable divs.
- Icon next to the URL bar to let you easily access and edit your shortcuts / expansions.
** LIMITATIONS **
- Some sites intercept or block the script, or use frameworks that interfere with the extension, so your shortcuts won't work on those sites, see below for list. Email me if you find more!
- The new HTML5 input fields of type "email" and "number" don't allow caret/cursor manipulation, so replacements are done at the end of the text instead.
- Some sites also use iframes that are on a different security protocol (http vs https, like say an embedded Google Docs form, Google Hangouts), and that will prevent the script from working as well.
- Chrome has storage limits, so expansions over a certain size or quantity will fail: https://developer.chrome.com/extensions/storage#properties
- If you sign out of your browser, YOU WILL LOSE YOUR LOCAL BACKUP. This backup is only done in Chrome's localstorage layer: for security, I cannot initiate a download of the JSON. Please save a copy of your shortcuts from the Import/Export dialog in the Options page!
** COMPATIBILITY NOTICE **
Due to Chrome Webstore policy, I can't explicitly list all websites the extension works and doesn't work on, but it works on most basic websites, and unfortunately doesn't work on more complex text editing and communications apps. Apologies, some of the fancy code they use for these sites doesn't work well with the extension. :(
** TRADEMARK & BRANDING NOTICE **
This is not a Google sponsored product. Google Chrome is a trademark of Google Inc. Use of this trademark is subject to Google permissions. Popchrom is a separate and similar product, and some of Popchrom's open sourced code was used in previous versions of Auto Text Expander.
Still a work in progress, so constructive feedback and code contributions are welcome (https://github.com/carlinyuen/ChromeAutoTextExpander).