Use native tab discard method to automatically reduce memory usage of inactive tabs
Auto Tab Discard a lightweight extension that uses the native method (tabs.discard) to unload or discard browser tabs which significantly reduces the memory footprint of your browser when many tabs are in use.
If you are used to keeping many tabs opened at once during your work, this extension could help you to keep your browser fresh with low memory usage by parking (hibernating) inactive tabs. This also helps portable devices to save battery.
1. Speeds up your browser and minimize the memory usage: Inactive, idle or forgotten tabs can be auto-discarded after a configurable period of time or be discarded manually from the toolbar popup.
2. Tabs (Sites) can be whitelisted to prevent discarding.
3. Discarded tabs are retained after closing and reopening browser (using your browser's session restore functionality)
4. Tab's favicon displays the discarded state (If the icon has opacity it is discarded)
5. Tabs are being restored with all information kept intact (like scroll position or the content of text boxes) when it becomes visible again
Options: There are a few options to customize when a tab gets discarded:
1. Pinned tabs
2. When there is a media source playing inside a tab
3. When the computer is connected to a power source
4. When there is a form element (with changes) that has not yet been submitted.