Translate Japanese by hovering over words.
Quickly look up Japanese words on any text page by activating the add-on from the toolbar (you may need to use the Extensions menu to pin the icon to the toolbar) or pressing Alt+R.
Press 'Shift' or 'Enter' to view kanji or name information or 'c' to enter copy mode. Other keys and options can be configured from the options page.
• Pitch accent information
• Dictionaries that update automatically twice a week fetching just the updated entries
• Recognition of a wide range of grammatical forms and characters (e.g. 食べてた, 分からん, 知らん, じーちゃん, 頑張ろー, そーゆー, ぬ verbs, とく・どく forms, causative passive, vs-c verbs like 兼した, and characters like ㋕, ㌀, ㋿, 𠏹沢, and many more)
• Translation of Japanese numbers into Arabic numerals (e.g. 13億5千万 into 1,350,000,000)
• Translation of yen amounts (e.g. 100億円, 8万8千円) into a local currency
• Translation of Japanese-era years into Gregorian years (e.g. 昭和５６年, 平成三十一年)
• Translation between 畳/帖 measurements and square meters (e.g. 四畳半、12.6 帖、25 平米 etc.)
• Translation of shogi moves (e.g. ☗８三銀引成)
• Support for vertical text and text in SVG images
• Support for looking up Japanese text in Google docs
• Support for non-English dictionaries (unfortunately no Japanese-Japanese dictionary is freely available yet)
• Up-to-date kanji data including educational and kanji kentei levels, reworked kanji components etc.
• Many settings to customize to your needs
• Localization into Simplified Chinese and Japanese
• Automatic preview of name entries when there is a better match in the name dictionary
Version 1.10.0 includes
• Updated data download service to improve initial download performance and provide more useful download progress.
Version 1.9.0 includes
• Made the popup display in full-screen mode so you can look up text in subtitles on full-screen videos.
• Added recognition for decimals numbers with kanji bases (e.g. 25.1万円).
• Made the popup not automatically show for text elements with title/alt attributes when a key is required to show the popup.
• Fixed an issue where other extensions could cause the popup to be mispositioned.
Version 1.8.4 includes
• Fixed looking up vertical text using pdf.js.
• Fixed use of the puck on Bibi reader.
• Fixed a regression in highlighting of non-BMP characters e.g. 𠏹沢.
• Made sure the popup always appears on top, even for sites like TimeTree that use the maximum z-index for their popups.
• Fixed a bug where the copy status message would re-appear after switching tabs.
Version 1.7.1 includes
• Fixed display of the radical meaning in kanji view
Version 1.7.0 includes
• Parsing for shogi moves (e.g. ☗８三銀引成)
• Improved text look up in Google docs when the document is scaled
• Fixed positioning of the puck (touch screen devices) when using pinch zoom
• More common kana readings are displayed when looking up an entry by an irregular kana reading (e.g. showing ふんいき when looking up ふいんき)
• Irregular kana readings are dimmed when looking up by kanji (e.g. ふいんき is dimmed when looking up 雰囲気)
• Irregular kanji headwords be dimmed when looking up by kana (e.g. お母 is dimmed when looking up おふくろ)
• Name preview no longer shows the age for name entries when only a year is given, or when the name is not for a person
• Stopped the add-on from interfering with generic XML documents
• Stopped producing source maps which would result in an error being displayed in the developer console
Version 1.6.1 includes
• Fixes looking up text in text boxes when the document is scrolled
Version 1.6.0 includes
• Support for copying entries from touch devices by tapping the entry
• Copying to the clipboard works for HTTP sites
• Support for looking up words on touch screens by tapping the word
Version 1.5.0 includes
• Support for Google Docs annotated canvas
• Refines senses based on what you're looking up
• Shows the age next to names
• Lots of minor fixes (tm formatting, number lookup, etc.)
Version 1.4.8 includes
• Fixes to popup display for iframes (such as on the Bibi EPUB reader) and standalone SVG graphics
Version 1.4.3 includes
• Expands numbers that include kanji characters and aren't in the dictionary (e.g. 9万8800, 365億)
• Adds an option to disable currency conversion
• Fixes a bug where popups were not scrollable when no tabs are shown
• Forces Google Docs to use HTML mode. This can be disabled from settings.
• Ignores zero-width non-joiner characters (as sometimes used by Google Docs)
Version 1.4.1 includes
• Conversion of currency amounts (e.g. 8万8千円, 100億円)
• A "puck" for looking up words on touch screens
Version 1.3.5 includes
• Overhauled popup positioning to better correspond with old behavior
• Reworked iframe message passing to prevent interfering with pages like Azure portal
Version 1.3.3 includes
• Improved lookup performance
• Popup is now shown again for images with Japanese alt/title text but there is an option to turn it off
• Added recognition for counters that start with half-width numerals (e.g. 1 つ, 14 日)
• Reworked popup positioning
Version 1.2.3 includes
• Made the lookup better reflect the cursor position
• Fixed a regression in the highlighting of text when only content that is not a dictionary entry matches
Version 1.2.2 includes
• Made popups for iframes be shown in the topmost window
• Fixed flickering on links that use transitions
• Fixed a regression when looking up the first character in a text box
Version 1.2.1 includes
• Better handling of text in text boxes (form fields etc.)
Version 1.2.0 includes
• Option to display tabs on the sides or hide them altogether
• Option to change the toolbar icon to a 天 character instead
• Made katakana name matches show up in the name preview
Version 1.1.3 includes
• New name: 10ten Japanese Reader
• New default theme (switches between light/dark based on system dark-mode setting)
• Tabs for showing different dictionary results and made them interactive on touch screen devices
• Automatic translation of 畳/帖 and square measurements such as 四畳半, 6.5 帖, 10㎡, or 十二平米
• Option to show only kanji entries by holding Shift.
• Shortcut key to toggle the extension on and off is no longer be synchronized so that the full range of modified keys can be used and so that extensions keys configured via the browser UI interoperate with the extension UI better
• Popup shows up less eagerly when the hold-to-show key(s) is/are pressed and a text box is focused since it can interfere with copying and pasting.
• Optimized searching for variants of 長音 (ー) and 旧字体 to perform fewer lookups while considering all 長音 variations for name entries
• Additional key that can be configured to switch dictionaries, n, since Shift can be unavailable when Firefox's resist fingerprinting mode is enabled
• Notification that incomplete results are shown when the dictionary data is being updated
• Hint indicating the keys that can be used to switch dictionaries
Version 0.5.7 includes
• Recognition of covered-up text as used on asahi.com and nikkei.com
• Fixes to handling of text in text boxes (previously the first character could not be recognized)
Version 0.5.10 includes
• Performance improvements when looking up words